kenaness

Questions about citizenship

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

So I have a short term residency based on owning a property here (not tourist, i think it's called real estate residency) and I'm living in Turkey most of the year.

Lots of people are telling me that after 3-5 years of this type of residency you are eligible to apply for citizenship. I have also heard that it's NOT true so I keep getting mixed messages on this.

I'm also about to start the process of getting a work permit here as well.

So my questions are:

1. Does the "real estate" residency actually lead to citizenship?

2. If i get a work permit, does the period of "real estate" residency still count towards the 5 years? (assuming it actually does lead to citizenship)

Thanks.

If you have bought a house which is appraised to be worth at least the equivalent of $250,000 USD, then under Turkey's citizenship by investment program, you automatically qualify for citizenship regardless of how long you've lived in Turkey. Otherwise, you can apply for citizenship after five years of living in Turkey with either a residence or work permit.

1. Does the "real estate" residency actually lead to citizenship?

Just the residency alone, of five years or more, enables you to apply for citizenship. While buying a property isn't specifically on the list of things you have to do to be considered for citizenship, it can be part of your "demonstration" of intent to live in Turkey and be a good Turkish citizen.

And there is more than that involved if you go that route... you have to convince a citizenship board that it is of some benefit to Turkey to give you citizenship, and you have to speak the language, because they will interview you in Turkish about various things.

2. If i get a work permit, does the period of "real estate" residency still count towards the 5 years? (assuming it actually does lead to citizenship)

Both your time on a residence permit and a work permit count for citizenship, except if it is a student residence permit.

I'm in the first draft of a new article about becoming a Turkish citizen. It's a lot better than the one we have online now. I'll send it to you so you can have a look, you'll get a better idea of what is involved.

I just want ask some thing, in this couple month ago there is been a rumor in Facebook, it said that the families are original Ottoman before the French Occupation to Algeria and still live there have the right to claim the Turkish citizenship. I hope it's true.

Please reply as soon as possible and thank you sir.

It's not in the current citizenship law. The only way you can become a Turkish citizen by descent is if you have either a mother or father who is a Turk by birth.

I haven't heard of any laws being passed giving citizenship to people in countries of the former Ottoman Empire, and I don't see any reason why they would do that. So it sounds like just a rumor to me.

From what I know Ataturk invited all of those in the old Ottoman times to return to Turkey if they wished. I know this because my wife's grandparents returned from what is present day Romania. So, I doubt this is the case. Best thing would to be contact the consulate or embassy in your area and ask them directly. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.