PeteJF

Mistake or fraud?

Rate this topic

Today my Turkish bank account was credited with 8700 Turkish lira from Saudi Arabia. This was unexpected and I do not know anyone in  Saudi Arabia.

Could this be part of a scam(how would that work) or is it more likely to be an error?

Any way I will go to the bank branch tomorrow to inform them that I was not expecting that money.

Good idea Pete, it's always best to talk to the bank when that sort of thing happens. Could save you from a lot of legal trouble.

I did try calling their English language helpline but they were unable to do anything and agreed that I must go to the bank in the morning.

Pete,

Having dealt with several Turkish Banks both professionally and personally, I could almost guarantee this is a mistake. I have always had pleasant and professional experiences. I'm sure it will be resolved quickly. 

Please keep us updated.

Cheers,

Justin

Hi Justin, I went to the bank this morning(with my Turkish step son as translator) to inform them about this.

We went into an office in the bank and a couple of bank people looked at my account and then chatted for a few minutes.

I was told that there was no danger of fraud, that the payment was made using my full name and the bank has no other clients with my name. It is possible that the payment was intended for someone with the same name as me at another bank. I should not spend the money yet but it is up to the person who sent it to put a claim in if it was sent in error.

So that is it for now.

That is interesting for sure. Were you expecting any money back from your home purchase? The  reason I ask, is a lot of these Insaat businesses are owned by Arab nationals. Just trying to run down and scenario. 

Either way, best of luck. 

Cheers, 

Justin