Sign in to follow this  
icebern

Bombs......again

Rate this topic

I was about to say on here that I find it very strange that no one has mentioned the recent bombing in Istanbul last week, is it because I am new here and you are all used to it ?

Then as I was scrolling through some earlier post I found one from Ben from TWO YEARS ago, which, I might add gave me some sort of comfort as I was beginning to get worried about buying in Turkey. He was so right and what he was saying two years ago is still true today.

I will continue to look forward to our new apartment and life in Turkey. :hysterical[1]:

I was about to say on here that I find it very strange that no one has mentioned the recent bombing in Istanbul last week, is it because I am new here and you are all used to it ?

Then as I was scrolling through some earlier post I found one from Ben from TWO YEARS ago, which, I might add gave me some sort of comfort as I was beginning to get worried about buying in Turkey. He was so right and what he was saying two years ago is still true today.

I will continue to look forward to our new apartment and life in Turkey. ;)

I did write something at first about it, but it was a pretty angry reply directed at those who did it, and I had planned to write a more reasoned one. I set my post to "unapproved" which means nobody can see it but me (as a moderator), until I could write a less angry and vitriolic response. As a moderator, I'm supposed to be moderate! :hysterical[1]: What I'd like to do to these people is something I should not be writing in this forum.

The bombing was in a residential neighborhood of Istanbul, not directed at expats or travelers, simply to say to everybody that some terrorist group is around and that the police cannot protect us from them. And of course to grab lots of headlines for their cause with the horrible pictures of all the casualties. That's why terrorism is the tool of the politically weak.

Thanks to the Turkish National Police, it is extremely difficult for terrorist groups to do something like this and get away with it. This doesn't look like Al Quaida at all, it was probably the PKK, which tends to be rather unsophisticated and clumsy by comparison. They also get caught a lot. Many, many terrorist acts never happened because of their vigilance, and typically, the perpetrators of these acts are caught. Terrorism is everywhere, and there aren't many places to go in the world any more. Even though there's terrorism here as well, we're lucky to be in a country which has one of the best counter-terrorism organizations anywhere in the World. Watch the headlines, you're likely to see those who did this identified, tried, and jailed.

I've moved this post to the Terrorism forum, I've written some other stuff there which you might be interested in. I worked in the counterterrorism arena for some years and my organization worked with the Turkish National Police extensively.

We're not used to it I think... we're used to traffic deaths, though. In the US there are about 40-50,000 of those a year, but they're not on the news every night. But something like a plane crash or a terrorism event, with the accompanying horrifying photos, sticks in our memories and causes us to irrationally fear these things more than those things which are far more likely to kill us. You chances of dying from a fall in your home are greater than becoming a victim of a terrorist act. But who sees horrible images on the news of people who fell in their homes?

And that phenomenon, by the way, is exactly why terrorists do the things they do. They take advantage of that aspect of human behavior.

So I think it's more of an acceptance of the reality of things, rather than being used to it.

Thanks for your thoughts on that Ben. I guess I just didn't want it to go unmentioned, that would to me seem a bit too cavelier, on the other hand why perpetuate the actions of these cowardly acts.

Its a sticky question.

Terrorism is part of our lives now , you would think that living in the UK I would be used to it. The I.

R.

A stopped me from visiting London some years ago or anywhere else I thought they might be, but since 9/11and the London bombings I have changed my attitude, silly to say that it doesn't scare me, especially flying but it has worked the other way, I refuse to stop travelling, I refuse to allow them to have any kind of hold on my life. In my mind that is me winning not them.

Thanks for allowing me to air my views. I will stop now :hysterical[1]:

I know well that the Brits have a long history of not being scared easily! And as I expected, the Turkish police have today arrested 13 people in connection with the bombings. Apparently one bomb was meant to draw attention, then the second was detonated to maximize casualties. That's not unusual, sometimes they will set off one bomb, wait till the rescue people get there and people come to help, then they set off a second, more powerful one.

The Turkish National Police have an excellent intelligence system, they've been able to penetrate these groups in a phenomenal way and have sometimes made arrests just before a terrorist act was carried out. I'm always amazed by this. They can't stop them all, but I don't think any country's counter-terrorism forces could do a better job than the TNP does! Hats off to the TNP.http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/0...ests/index.htmlI agree with you 100% regarding travel, the last thing I'm going to do is bend to people like this or allow them to dictate to me or others, through this kind of violence, what we should and should not do. I think that's exactly the right attitude to have.

Thanks for allowing me to air my views. I will stop now

Well don't do that, we want you to air your views! This would be less of a forum if you didn't! :hysterical[1]: