Sign in to follow this  
jane

Hotel

Rate this topic

Please can anyone recommend a good central Bodrum hotel. I may start my September visit with 3 nights in Bodrum and then meet up with my sister and mosey on down to Datca to hook up with the rest of my family. I was amazed though at the B&B prices for fairly ordinary hotels -

Thanks I'll take a look shortly. I was just surprised that hotels in Bodrum seemed so much more than Datca and I was told that was an expensive place. All the places I've found so far price in euros and so that makes it expensive when coming from UK. I'll look through the Turkey Central site to see if there are any priced in lira.

Yes, Bodrum is a real tourist hotspot, from looking at the map, Datca is in the "boondocks" by comparison. I do hope to visit there once I get a bit of money and I can go on this "road trip" I've been planning for some time.

Well what on earth are boondocks Ben? I have been to Bodrum a few times but have always stayed at a fairly expensive sailing club a little way out. This time I just want 3 cheapish nights in a central hotel as we will be wanting to catch the 9am ferry to Datca. Yes Datca is very different to Bodrum - we always joke that Marmaris and Bodrum are on speed and Datca is on tranquilizers. You should take a trip there one day. I can only take Bodrum in small doses but even so will enjoy my 3 days there for a change and a bit of retail therapy maybe. Datca has some of the most beautiful scenery that I have seen anywhere in the world, it is very breathtaking and even after 15 years I'm still not bored by it.

I'm a Turkey lover also, so here are few of mine opinions...

• Bitez is lovely, Ortakent is okay
  • Yalikavak is lovely too
  • Gumusluk (great fish restaurants)
  • Turkbuku (holiday place of the rich and famous)
  • Gundogan (a little quiet for my liking)
  • Turgetreis (more Turkish than many of the other resorts, with a great Saturday market)
  • Torba (a bit out of the way and too small for me)
  • Gumbet (my favourite place but I know that it doesn't appeal to everybody - and no, we don't "do" Bar St but have some great friends in the quieter area of the resort and also have our own place at the back of Gumbet towards Konacik).

The boat trips are great from anywhere on the peninsula. Ephesus and Pamukkale can be done - also try visiting Lake Bafa with some nice historic buildings, etc.

Bodrum is great for that - the castle (with the museum) and the mausoleum and the antique theatre, with a lovely marina (but no beach to speak of). The good thing about the peninsula is that it's small enough to get around easily by dolmus so that you can have a real good look round and get a real feel for the place.

Wherever you decide, hope you have a great holiday.