Sign in to follow this  
Ken Grubb

Us Consulate Attacked In Istanbul

Rate this topic

On Wednesday a vehicle pulled up in front of the US Embassy in Istiniye, a neighborhood of Istanbul, and opened fire on the police outpost guarding the entrance. Three policeman and three gunmen were killed in the firefight. Two policeman were injured and one of the vehicle occupants fled in a car.http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article...?enewsid=109477At this point there is nothing to attribute the attack to any one terrorist group, but because of the target, the event is presumed to be an act of terrorism.

The latest warden message from the US Consulate does not appear to indicate any other specific threats, and consisted mostly of reminders to be on alert, keep a low profile, vary routes and times of travel, avoid demonstrations and places where foreigners often gather.

My condolences to the families of the policemen who were killed, and wishes for a speedy recovery for those injured. And once again, hats off to the Turkish police, in my opinion one of the best counter-terrorism organizations in the World, it's impossible to always be able to stop this kind of thing, but it appears they were ready as always and were able to get three of them before they got away. I have a feeling it won't be long before the fourth one is in custody.

..one of our cruise ships left kusadasi to go to istanbul ,when they heard about the trouble ,they turned back,what is the world coming to.

I don't know. Probably most of the passengers on that ship are from a more dangerous city than the area of Istanbul they were going to. Their chances of dying from a bee sting are probably greater than being the victim of a terrorist attack. My sister, before she came here, told me that her husband was concerned for her safety. I told her that if that was his main concern, she should leave immediately and get here as soon as possible.

Terrorism is a tool of the politically weak... the men who did this knew that, even though they knew they could get nowhere near the embassy, that it would make the papers and have an effect. I've talked to quite a few travel agency owners who have had large groups of people cancel tours at the last minute.

Last news I heard, they also caught the driver who got away. He was denying knowing why he was driving the three men who shot up the front gate of the embassy.