Sign in to follow this  
cesmeresident

Ptt Post Box

Rate this topic

Before, if you wanted a post box you just went to your local Muhtar and got a 'İkamet' card detailng where you live and hey presto, show it to the post office and you get a box. Now you have to have residency according to CESME and you apply to the Nufus manager. Residency is between 500 to 600 ytl and the post box is 3 lira a year!!! What İ want to know is this across Turkey or has Cesme just made it up? You pre pay your 3 Lira so having to have residency seems a bit over kill even for Turkey

I know they are always changing the goalposts here but that seems abit OTT. I'll check it out.

No, it's a government department that keeps tabs on population. Everytime Turks want to do something in Turkey they have to get a print out of their family set up. You will find the office in the Government building at the top of the town.

Muhtar, what is it in English, village headman?If I knew the answer years ago my life would be a bit different than what it was..The story is about my job application as a translator. I had studied economics and my mind was full of sophisticated yet useless terms. Translation was the occupation I was interested in, and applied for a job. I had to take an exam which proved to be my first and last frustration, in that regard. I was supposed to know the English words for muhtar and ebe -midwife , which I didnt know at that time.Later whenever I met this word 'muhtar' I wondered: Was there anybody like muhtar in other parts of the word? How were they called?A muhtar is the top ranked local administrator of a village and a quarter-mahalle. He is elected, not appointed. His/her position is quite important in villages. For instance he can sell a land which is the common/public property of a village, subject to the approval of the higher local authority of the town. Issuing a paper showing residence details is among his routine tasks. I cannot prove that I live in this or that place unless it is certified by muhtar. If I move to a new place, the first thing I should do is to go to the muhtar and give my details for records. The document he issues showing my residence details is called 'ikametgah ilmuhaberi'. An old term, it is..İkametgah is an old word meaning residence, and ilmuhaber is for some kind of official documents. The government office which keeps all the records of identification, including the records of earlier generations of one's family is called 'n

Muhtar, what is it in English, village headman?

We don't have anything like this in the US. Nobody has to register anything with anybody, if they don't want to. You can live wherever you want, travel wherever you want, and you are not obligated to show identification to anyone, not even the police, unless you are placed under arrest for some crime.The closest thing we might have would be called a city councilman, perhaps, but basically his job is to represent the people in his district in regards to complaints regarding zoning, new construction, roads, etc. But he has no authority over anybody.Thanks for such a detailed explanation about what a Muhtar is, I had always wondered what exactly their responsibilities were.

That's very interesting Saffron. We also don't have anything remotely like this in the UK. We don't even have identity cards (yet). If the police stop you (I've never been stopped in the 40odd years I lived there) they assume (or used to ) that you are who you say you are.We have registers of Births , marriages and deaths but only need certificates when applying for a passport or getting married etc. You don't need them to buy a car or a house, or rent a post office box!