baje

Who is responsible for repairs?

Rate this topic

After renting for a few months with no real issues... the apartment then developed 2 electrical issues. 
Two lights stopped working and I replaced one no problem as that would fall under "my" responsibility. However the other one can't be replaced as it was wired in somehow and would require an electrician to be removed. Also some of the electrical sockets stopped working around the same time. Checked the fuses, reset them and still not working. 
Contacted the agent who then took over a week to contact the landlord / owner and I was told that I need to pay to make the repairs and "if" they think it's a fault of the apartment then I can submit the information to see "if" I would be credited for the money spent.
The solar heater also stopped working for over two weeks and not sure if it's worth bringing that up. 
Based on the experience of the community here.... is it safe to say that the Turkish law is not like the USA or UK law where these types of repairs are handled by property owners?

Baje,

If this an issue internal to the home and was not created by you, then it is the homeowners responsibility. It may take some assertiveness and working through the agent to get it resolved, but my experience is to have the landlord send their own person out and fix. Otherwise, they will claim you hired someone who was doing it dishonestly, that there was not a problem, and they are not paying. 

There are Turkish Tenant Laws, but Turks rarely pursue through the courts and therefore many landlords are not concerned with the basic rights of the tenant. Stick to your guns, tell them to send their own electrician, work through the agent, and if all else fails contact an attorney. Rates are rather affordable compared to US standards. A simple notification should be enough to get them to act. It's sad, but this is all too common, that's why you see most Turks buy at all costs necessary. 

It is up to the agent to chase the landlord. Go to see the agent and be assertive. If this fails I believe you can serve the landlord a letter which has been notarised, to request the repairs within a reasonable time.

Let us know how it goes.

It isn't like the USA. Many landlords, for anything inside the apartment, will do nothing and expect the tenant to fix it. However, I'll echo what has already been said... If it is part of what you are renting, like the electrical fixtures, or something outside of the apartment and part of the structure, like the solar water heater, they are supposed to fix it.

In reference to the notification letter, if you need legal proof that the landlord has been notified, this is done by a noter (notary). According to your instructions, they draw up a letter of notification about the problem and that they need to fix it. When they notarize it, it becomes part of the official record. Then the noter puts the letter into an envelope and sends it to the officially-registered address of the landlord, by taahhutlu posta (registered mail). In this way, both the delivery, and also the contents of the letter in the envelope, can be legally proven. That is why the noter mails the letter and not you. It makes it impossible for the landlord to say they weren't notified of the problem.

Hopefully it won't come to that. I mention it because if you just make a phone call or send them a regular letter yourself, the landlord may say that they never got a phone call or a letter.

I recall that when I was working at a military base in Turkey, the Turkish lawyer there was of the opinion that, if the landlord has been legally notified of the problem and fails to take action, you can then send copies of your receipts to them and deduct the amount of your expenses from the rent you are paying. In my (non-lawyer) opinion this wouldn't require another legal notification since you will have the original receipts if there is any question about the lower amount of rent that month.

I hope that helps... good luck in straightening this out.

Please do... the gist I get is that going through the Turkish courts is a very lengthy process. And the rental laws tend to favor the tenant more than the landlord anyway. So first of all, your landlord will be highly unlikely to take you to court. And if he or she does, the court, from what you have said, would likely rule in your favor. So I, in my non-lawyer opinion, think that if you just pay the price for the repairs and send the receipts and a reduced amount of rent according to your expenses, your landlord will just have to, as we used to say in the military, "eat it, and live."

Let us know what happens. You have friends here.