Rate this topic

Hello, I recently acquired Turkish citizenship ; and they have misspelled ( spelled my first name with a capital  “ İ “ with a dot  ) when it’s  a “ I “ without a dot . Is there a way to correct it ? Any advice will be much appreciated. 

Thanks

The dotted "i"  in Turkish keeps its dot when capitalized, whereas the undotted capital "I" has no dot when small.  They are pronounced differently. If you want to change it, try asking at the Nüfus Daire (Registry of Births) if you can have the spelling amended. :)

The Nüfus is where you would have that change made. They have a help line at 199. The help line also offers English if you need it. I once had an issue with someone at the Nüfus because they were telling me something I knew wasn't correct. I later called the help line and verified that the information I was given was wrong.

I never actually went back to the Nüfus to straighten that out, however, you might try that, and even call the help line while you are talking to an actual person at the Nüfus. Then hand your mobile phone to the person if you are getting conflicting information.

Sometimes government officials will just give you an answer off the top of their head.

A suggestion: If the person on the help line tells you that the Nüfus can do it and what you need to do, ask for their name. That way, when you are at the Nüfus office and you have to call the help line again, and the person you are now talking to on your mobile phone doesn't know or is giving you a bogus answer, ask to speak to the person you spoke to previously, by name. Then get them to talk to the person sitting at the desk at the Nüfus office.