Karim Kar

Cost of living Izmir

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am Karim from Algeria. We are planing my ex wife, our two children of 7 and 5 and my self to move to turkey and start a new life there.

I am looking for information concerning the cost of living in Izmir and would need advice, opinion from people who know the city or live there.

If possible, i would like to have information about the monthly budget for food (local), rent, transportation cost and other ...

About us: we dont, drink (maybe a beer once a month), dont smoke, we would like to go out and eat with family maybe once or twice a week,

The flat: the flat should have 3 rooms,

No international school, maybe a private Turkish school if not too expensive

City of Izmir, no small villages around, preferably close to transportation

thank you

Ps: sorry for my English

Visit Numbeo.com for the cost of living in Izmir. Unless somebody is able to report the actual cost of living for things like food, etc., that might help.

For flats, see this article:

How to Find and Rent an Apartment

At the bottom of that article are links to the various property sales and rental websites in Turkey. One of the most popular is Sahibinden.com. Sahibinden means "from the owner." But property agents also advertise properties for sale and rent there. You can use the search function to find what you want. At the bottom of the article I mentioned is also a link for the English translations of the Turkish words used on these websites. You can use these sites to get an idea of what the prices are for what you are looking for.

As for schools, you would need to search in Google for schools in Izmir and contact them for their prices, and make a comparison.

Actually, I think your English is excellent! In any case, don't worry about your English. We are your friends here. Many of us (maybe most of us!) don't speak English as a first language. I am happy you have joined our community. And I will do my best to help you.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:43, Karim Kar said:

About us: we dont, drink (maybe a beer once a month), dont smoke, we would like to go out and eat with family maybe once or twice a week,

The flat: the flat should have 3 rooms,

No international school, maybe a private Turkish school if not too expensive

City of Izmir, no small villages around, preferably close to transportation

I compared Algiers vs Izmir: 

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Algeria&country2=Turkey&city1=Algiers&city2=Izmir

FOOD: Izmir is relatively cheap in terms of street food and having the occasional beer.

HOUSING: As for the flat, you can use the suggestions Ken wrote.  If you plan on staying with in Izmir (city), I would suggest areas such as Buca, Konak, Alsancak, Bayrakli, Karsiyaka.  They all have convenient transportation options (bus, metro, tram & ferry).  Housing is relatively reasonably priced (for now).

https://www.sahibinden.com/en/for-rent-flat?address_town=474&address_town=464&address_town=466&address_town=458&address_town=459&a20=38474&address_city=35

Capture2.thumb.JPG.3aa8fb66054464c55e57aa1eb0d31b80.JPG

SCHOOL:  Here's where it gets tricky.  If you want to send the kids to a private school it can get very expensive, very quickly.  As there are many choices, I just did a quick google search of the city area.  This is not all-inclusive.  My 8 year old goes to a private school (for personal security reasons, I will not say which)...but it is not cheap & requires a school bus (which is not included in the price of the school), in addition you must purchase a lunch meal for the children as well. My average cost per month just for school, transportation, meals, snacks is approximately $1,300.  This DOES NOT include the 4-5 sets of uniforms (pants, shorts, long sleeve/short sleeve shirts, physical education clothing, jackets, ties & various other things they make the parents purchase).   I am not trying to discourage you, but I want you to be aware of the pitfalls as well.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a3c8bf7aba3dc17bac522ae745662d45.JPG

Hope this helps.  Welcome to the forum & best of luck!