Rate this topic

After living in Bodrum for 12 years, my wife and I are thinking of a move to the Izmir region. We want to get away from the extreme heat of summer and the growing number of Istanbul visitors. That isn't to say we don't like the visitors but Bodrum is no longer able to cope with the influx. We have made so many friends and contacts here that we are going to miss so much but sadly we don't think that we have too much choice in the matter. This will me a big move for us as we still have all the furniture we brought over from England all those years ago which is still in servicable condition.

We will spend this summer involved in market research which will mean quite a few extended trips up there. Our intended target area is a town named Urla which is west of Izmir itself. Our first visit will likely be simply looking around, radiating outwards from the town centre. This will also help to show us where the Belediye, muhtar, emlaks and medical fascilities are.

We will be starting from scratch and so could use local knowledge where available, the first thing we will need is a suitable base and if anyone here could recommend a clean and reliable pension or any other useful information or suggestions it would be gratefully receiced.

Pete.

Pete...I hate to break it to you but Izmir (even little Urla) has been slowly taken over by folks from Istanbul as well.  I know Urla all too well, as my wife's family hails from there.  Back in 2007-2009, it was really a village paradise.  Not so much anymore.  However, it's a bit less than what you are experiencing in Bodrum, that I can say for sure.  There's a lot of area in Urla & the outskirts as well.  The hills have nice land/property for sale and I have seen some really top-notch villas built...

A good place to start your search would be here:

https://www.sahibinden.com/en/for-sale/izmir-urla

Do some virtual exploring:

https://showmystreet.com/map-streetview/#mtdqo_fxn8b_8q_0_je42

Best of luck!

No worries...happy to help.

If you're keen to stick around the Urla/West Izmir area, Cesmealti is a nice area...Seferhisar, Teos, Karaburun & of course Cesme too.
Karaburun is another area that is quite nice.

Guzelbahce straddles Urla/Izmir, but still offers a lot of green space.

If you're not looking for such a strict village atmosphere:
Balcova is on the western outskirts of Izmir (city) & has nice areas as well...modern shopping areas close by, renowned for its thermal heat etc.

Bornova is a bit away from the city center, but offers nice areas too.  Nice outdoor mall, good hospital & a skating rink w/hockey :) 

I live in Konak now....lived in Alsancak (the "it" area of Izmir...or so ppl say).  Nice area, nice pubs, coffe houses, kordon etc.  Parking is a nightmare as you can imagine.

If I could do it all over, Karsiyaka/Mavisehir would be a good choice...the city is newer and you can tell the city has a modern plan, a LARGE modern mall, solid outdoor activities, KSK pro basketball team, an excellent hospital...with that said, Izmir has been pushing for an update city/province wide with its infrastructure.  There are great things in the works.  Check out the above areas & lmk if you have any more questions.

-Phil

Have you considered any of the towns on the Izmir peninsula, such as Karaburun, or Seferihisar? Seferihisar is an official "Slow City" under a so-called "cittaslow" project which aims to "prevent the disruption of the uniqueness, lifestyle and local culture of the cities due to globalization." It is also near Izmir. So if you want to be in Izmir but still have that slow, peaceful feel to where you live, Seferihisar might be a place to look in to.

Ahh Izmir, I arrive there 37 years ago today.  While I winter in Las Vegas, I spend my summers there and Çesme; I love the area and the people.  If you are looking for something away from tourist but close to Izmir may I recommend you take a trip down the highway from  Seferihisar to Kusadasi.  The road is quite good and there are many places you could buy and still be only an hour away from the shopping and support in Izmir.  If you are looking at Çesme, may I recommend Ovacik; it's on the southwest part of the peninsula and is mainly farms and open land.  Unfortunately, I don't know the prices for real estate as we stopped looking years ago.  Hope this helps.

I have been considering moving to the Izmir peninsula as well. I need to take a trip though, I'd like to see the towns along the northern shore of the peninsula. I went there many years ago, I wonder how much they have changed.

Cowboy......  perhaps I can assist also.... if you could give us a little more info on what kind of environment you are looking for, that would help. 

Urban, suburban, country ?  Near the water ?  Convenience, i.e. shopping, public transport, etc ?  Nightlife ?  

Will you be expecting/wanting to use a car ?  That will affect location, as far as parking options if any near your residence.

I've been in Izmir 20+ years.  I have fellow expat and Turkish friends.  I am more familiar with the city itself than the outlying areas.  Perhaps I can answer questions or find someone who knows better.  I live on the west side in Goztepe but I have had 3 other residences in the city.  I'll be happy to try and help.

Izmir Ted, thank you for your useful reply. I will be returning to your post in time.
If you refer to my OP you will see that my intended area is not Izmir the city but Izmir the district. The kind of place I am looking for must be within easy reach of both major hospitals and the Menderes airport, more so now Istanbul flights are being directed to the new joint.

Pete.

Mavisehir/Karsiyaka (KSK) are close to highway (which gets you to the airport in a reasonable amount of time), that area has an amazing (in my opinion) city layout when compared to Alsancak, plus lots of things to do.  A very nice hospital (Medical Park) is within close reach & if you ever have a need to go across the bay, there are many daily ferries & a car ferry as well. 
Developers have started to build housing areas in the Cigli district which is slightly north of the KSK area & a bit more country.  A bit further north is Foca....not far, but not close either.

Best bet is really to take a few days and just explore.

Ömer, are you looking for somewhere outside of the city but within easy travel distance ?  Yes the area you mentioned is a good option.  Urla / Güzelbahçe / Narlıdere.  Major Izmir-Çeşme road passes through that area. There are city bus links to F. Altay (Üçkuyular) on western side of Izmir.  The Metro will be extended to Narlıdere (construction underway).  Also, there is a main highway to the airport from F. Altay.

As far as safety, if you mean crime, it is very low, as it is in general here.

Any more specific questions, please ask.

Great info. Did you move to Urla Cowboy? How do you like it? My wife and I are moving to Izmir from Toronto, Canada. We are looking at Narlıdere and Urla, somewhere quite and still close to the city.