Fada

Health insurance for 65 year old in Turkey

Rate this topic

Hello everyone,

Please I need some help regarding my husband health insurance, on the 2. July he will be 65 years old, and I read that people over 65 years old, does not need a health insurance for RP.

Does he need an insurance if he apply for RP during May 2019?

Or he should wait til the 2.July, then he apply for RP?

If he does not need health insurance for RP, what he will write in insurance-fields on RP-application?

Another issue which I need help too, I read that Danish Nationality are exempted from RP fee, is that true?

I am Swedish.  Am I also exempted from RP fee too?

I appreciate your answer.

Does he need an insurance if he apply for RP during May 2019?

Yes, because he will not yet be 65 years old.

Or he should wait til the 2.July, then he apply for RP?

That would be up to him, but once he is over 65, health insurance is not required.

If he does not need health insurance for RP, what he will write in insurance-fields on RP-application?

I think, but I am not sure, that once he enters his birth date, the option to enter the insurance may be either optional, or not there at all. I haven't heard of anyone over 65 who has had any problems with the online system, so I assume it is a straightforward thing.

I read that Danish Nationality are exempted from RP fee, is that true?

Yes, it is true. It says so here:

Residence Permit Fee Amounts (in Turkish)

At the bottom of that page, it says this:

Çek Cumhuriyeti, Danimarka, İrlanda, Kosova, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Suriye ve Türkmenistan 2011 yılından itibaren karşılıklılık ilkesi çerçevesinde ikamet izni harcından muaf tutulmuştur.

It says that citizens of the Czech Republic, Denmark, Ireland, Kosovo, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Syria and Türkmenistan are exempt from residence permit fees according to a reciprocal agreement.

I am Swedish.  Am I also exempted from RP fee too?

Unfortunately, no. You will have to pay. According to the chart on the web page I linked to, the fee will be $25 USD for the first month, and 5 USD for additional months. So for one year it would be the Turkish Lira equivalent of $80 USD. There is also a card printing fee, which is 89 TL for 2019.

Hi Ken

Thank you for a good and professional service, I appreciate it very much.

Another question I have, now my husband decide to apply for RP on the 1. July (Monday), he ill be 65 years old.

We will be in Istanbul on the 8th. May, and back home on the 8th July for about 4 weeks.

We will prepare all the required docs (as we know) before the first of July.

My concern is about:

Do you think 6-7 days enough to complete RP applying?

Or maybe better to apply for RP after we come back to Turkey at the beginning of August (then we will be free to stay in Turkey as long as it takes)?

Does the counting back of the 90 days begin from the 8th. of July? 

TIA

FADA

Do you think 6-7 days enough to complete RP applying?

The application is done online, and you can do it, theoretically, an an hour or two, provided you have all of your documents ready. For example, you will need your photos before you apply online because you will have to upload a scanned digital copy of one of them. You will also need your health insurance policy, because you will need the policy number, dates, company name, etc. Also your visa information and your passport info.

Have a look here for more info on residence permits.

Turkey Residence Permits

Of course if you have any questions about the process you can ask them here in this topic.

You can get your health insurance just by walking into an insurance company office and telling them you need a health insurance policy for a residence permit. It will take less than an hour, probably. Same with the photos, just go to a photo shop and tell them you need four biometric photos for your residence permit, they can take them on the spot.

Once you complete the application process, you'll be given a link to download your completed application for you to sign and take with you for your appointment.

Because you are in Istanbul, you won't be given (or be allowed to choose) an appointment date or time. This is given to you later, sent by e-mail or SMS message. It cannot be changed, you have to be at your appointment with your complete application package on that day and at that time, no matter what.

Or maybe better to apply for RP after we come back to Turkey at the beginning of August (then we will be free to stay in Turkey as long as it takes)?

That's up to you, of course, but it seems to me it would be easier to just apply when you really are here to stay. What are you thinking would be the advantage of applying earlier?

Does the counting back of the 90 days begin from the 8th. of July? 

Are you referring to the number of days in Turkey allowed on your visa? Have a look at this guide. It explains the 90-in-180 days rule and how to calculate the number of days you are allowed to stay in Turkey.

The 90-in-180 days rule for Turkey Visas

I hope that helps... let me know if any of that isn't clear. :)

Thanks again ken, 

Reason to apply early, because in August we will have only 4 days left from our 90 days stay in Turkey and if the applying e-system does not work then we will have a problem for applying.

I read your article also before, but still I am confuse from when I should calculate back.

If I calculate back from 8 May (arrival day) then we have no right even to stay in Turkey til the 8th. of July (leaving day), because we had 2 trips before, one in Dec. 2018 (27.11.2018 til 18.12.2018, means 22 days) and the other in March 2019 (08.03.2019 til 01.04.2019, means 25 days), but if we calculate back from the 8 July (departure day) then we will still have 4 days left from our 90 days, because we do not have to calculate back the trip in 2018.

You should not have a problem with the system, except for being confused by it... you can always call the helpline at 157 and ask them for help. Don't worry too much about the online application system. It usually works just fine. The only time you hear about it is when it doesn't.

Once you have your approved, printed application, which you can download from the system after completing the application, you don't have to worry about how many days you have left according to your visa. You will be legally in Turkey with your application until the day of your appointment. Once you complete your appointment, you will get a temporary residence permit, until your residence permit card comes in the mail.

If I calculate back from 8 May (arrival day) then we have no right even to stay in Turkey til the 8th. of July (leaving day), because we had 2 trips before, one in Dec. 2018 (27.11.2018 til 18.12.2018, means 22 days) and the other in March 2019 (08.03.2019 til 01.04.2019, means 25 days)

In general, this is true. That is, if on the 8th of may when you count back, your total days in Turkey, during the previous 180 days, amount to 90 or more.

However...

You can get a şartlı giriş (conditional entry) form when you arrive, from the border officials, on which you will declare that you will apply for a residence permit within ten days. By completing and signing that form, you can enter Turkey even if you have reached the maximum 90 days on your visa. But as the form says, you MUST apply for your residence permit within 10 days after entering Turkey.

And by the way, if your husband has to get health insurance, and then becomes 65 years old, after getting his residence permit, he can then go back and cancel the insurance and get a refund for the unused portion.