GebzeRM

Bored out of my fr3aking mind in Gebze!

Rate this topic

Trying not to be a hit and run or rant poster. Why are there no other posters in Gebze? Must be a reason! Boring as heck and nothing to do here. Not even proper internet - no fibre, no ADSL!!!! I'm stuck with Turkcell vinnwifi - didn't understand the explanation why I can't get the superbox (lost in translation) ! All the usual shoulda, woulda, coulda thoughts going through my mind! I'd really like to find someone - a foreigner - who survived Gebze - but I don't think that there was anyone as foolish as me! 

Where does one buy wine here??? I need it like water but darn,  the latter is all that the supermarkets here stock :(

If anyone has ideas for internet service please do let me know. And don't forget wine tips!

Much appreciated.

PS Still waiting for the resident card, then I will get a car and get out some :)

Mood!

Hi GebzeRM, welcome to Turkey Central. The only Gebze I know of is in Kocaeli, is that where you are? Away from the southwestern area of Turkey and in the more rural Anatolian areas you are unlikely to find much alcohol for sale openly in shops. Many restaurants are alcohol free too. The only thing I can suggest is go to a larger town when you have your residence permit and buy a few cases to stock up with. I made my own wine for a few years quite successfully but my vines developed some sort of disease.

You should find some wine in a Migros supermarket, most will stock it although there is one in my local town that isn't allowed to as it is next to a mosque.

Hello Cukurbagli, sorry to hear about your vines! Indeed that's where I am. I was so surprised that I couldn't just have a glass of wine with my dinner. I did not realize that the town was that conservative, having spent some time in Istanbul and Izmir. The train to Istanbul has just started service so maybe I do need to use it to get a some stock. 

Ibrahim I've been to two Migros supermarkets here that were dry. I will try the one in the Gebze Center - perhaps I will be a tad bit more luck.

Thank you both for the hints! 

We also live in a conservative area but we do have 'Tekel' shops (licensed liquor vendors) and some of the supermarkets sell alcohol. We do have to drive a minimum of 25km to get to one though. Good luck

Well I found myself in Istanbul today and in the Zorlu Mall found Eataly with a half decent variety of wine at a pretty penny. Picked up some bottles in the Macrocenter  so I'm good for now.

I will keep my eyes out for the Tekel shops. Don't think I've ever seen one around here.

Nowadays they are not allowed to show the nature or the name of the product in the windows, or on view at all eg in a fridge on the street. Efes Pilsen are currently using a word 'Esas'  (fundamental, natural) to describe their beer. When everyone associates this word with Efes Pilsen then that word will appear outside all of their retailers. Clever strategy and it is beginning to work. Afiyet olsun.

Interesting. Did not know that. Anything to get around the prohibition. I recently read an article on the of disappearance of alcoholic beverages from supermarket Christmas (?) baskets (not sure if the pic will show up) and there was much ex planation of the legislation governing alcohol bans. I must admit my ignorance on this issue but there's not like being affected that pushes you to get educated :(

image.png

I have just looked at the Migros internet shopping site, but cannot find alcohol at all. I suppose it is to stop minors buying it online.