British Turk Wants to Get Turkish Citizenship

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! :)

My name is Selim and i am a British Born Turk, My father is Turkish and my Mother is Turkish Cypriot.

For years now i want to get Turkish Citizenship via my father and i have looked into the process but it seems confusing and quite hard to do?

I contacted the Turkish Consulate in London and they told me i need my birth certificate, my UK passport and a Medical Certificate (Letter from Doctor saying I'm in good health?) I don't think a letter is enough, do i need to get a proper Health Certificate from somewhere?

My Birth Certificate, UK passport and other things have to be Translated, notarised and apostatised? Where on earth do i get my Documents translated and noterised?? I looked everywhere.

I found on the gov.uk website i can easily get the documents apostatised but the translation of the documents and notarisation is the hard part.

Plus,  i know that if i get my Turkish Citizenship they may call me into the Army.

It's something I'm not so keen on doing but i did look things up and if i paid (Bedeli Askeri) then i can pay off from not doing military service but it will show that it was done. It's £1,000's but i think it's worth it.

Any advice or help, i would be greatly appreciated :)

Selim

I contacted the Turkish Consulate in London and they told me i need my birth certificate, my UK passport and a Medical Certificate (Letter from Doctor saying I'm in good health?) I don't think a letter is enough, do i need to get a proper Health Certificate from somewhere?

If that is what they told you, then that is what they need. In Turkey, to get a health certificate, it often just requires blood work, and the doctor looking you over and asking you a few questions about your health. If you have some disease, it will show up in your blood work, and the doctor will probably do that before attesting to your health in a letter.

My Birth Certificate, UK passport and other things have to be Translated, notarised and apostatised? Where on earth do i get my Documents translated and noterised?? I looked everywhere.

Yes. First, get an apostille. You get this from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). You provide them with your documents, and they validate that their origin is genuine, then attach a document to them, which is the apostille. Then you need to get both the document and the apostille translated by a Turkish sworn translator. Contact your embassy or consulate to find out where one is in your area, they usually live somewhere near a Turkish embassy or consulate.

What I would recommend is first booking an appointment at a Turkish embassy or consulate. Take whatever you have to them, tell them that you want to become a Turkish citizen. They they will probably give you a list of things you need to do and tell you how to get them done.

You can book an appointment on Turkey's worldwide consular appointments website here:

Turkish Embassy and Consulate Appointment System

Plus,  i know that if i get my Turkish Citizenship they may call me into the Army.

Correct.

It's something I'm not so keen on doing but i did look things up and if i paid (Bedeli Askeri) then i can pay off from not doing military service but it will show that it was done. It's £1,000's but i think it's worth it.

I am aware of the bedelli system where your training can be reduced to a couple of weeks, but I wasn't aware you could pay to get out of it completely.

The citizenship process should be easy for you. You are already considered a Turkish citizen if you have a Turkish parent, it is mostly a formality going through the paperwork to get it, and your date of citizenship will be your date of birth. Good luck with it, I hope you'll let us know how things go for you. I would be interested in learning more about the process myself.

Hi Ken! Nice to meet you :)

Yeah, i did attempt to get Turkish Citizenship a few years ago but i put it on hold and all i got from my GP (Doctor) was a letter and i don't think that was enough. I think i need a proper Health Certificate from a private medical company.

Yes I'm aware of the appointment system and i've used it before to help my Dad get appointments to go to the Turkish consulate in London

Yes, i was told that when after foreigners get Turkish Citizenship, who are male, can pay off £6,000 for Bedelli Askeri so it pays it off and won't have to go into the army but get a letter saying it has been done or i have been exempted. (not sure which one).

I will let you know when i will start all this. At this time i will only get my Turkish Citizenship when i have enough money to pay off the Bedelli Askeri.

Hi Selim, welcome to the forum.

I can't help with advice on aquiring Turkish citizanship but I am curious as to why you want it. How often do you visit Turkey, do you have strong ties with relatives or friends here, do you speak fluent Turkish ?

I don't want to scare you off but we see state funerals for Turkish soldiers every day. Your insistance in avoiding joining the military would suggest you don't wish to defend your country.

I have lived here in Turkey for 12 years and became a Turkish citizen 10 years ago. I married a Turkish woman in Istanbul 30 years ago. The procedure was, translation of my birth certificate and British passport. Both parents first names, a visit to the local courthouse for security check and criminal record. Medical check and fingerprints. An interview with the city mayor and the city counsil. 200TL fee and an 8 week wait. Whilst waiting the jandarma visited my house.

If I can do it, I'm sure you can too. Good luck.

Hiya,

Why i want it? I'm proud to be Turkish. That's why i want it. It will be useful to me. I have family and friends in Turkey and i do go every year.

To be honest but I'm not Army material. I feel i am not suited to go in the army and yes i am scared from doing it but it does not make me a coward. I'm just not Army material! Also i have Asperger's so that might complicate things if i were go into the Army.

Yeah it's a different process from when you do it in Turkey or when you are doing it in a consulate in a foreign country.

The procedure was, translation of my birth certificate and British passport. Both parents first names, a visit to the local courthouse for security check and criminal record. Medical check and fingerprints. An interview with the city mayor and the city counsil. 200TL fee and an 8 week wait. Whilst waiting the jandarma visited my house.

The procedure for citizenship will be different for Selim, because he has at least one Turkish parent. In his case, he is considered a Turk from the day he was born, so obtaining formal Turkish citizenship will be a lot easier.

In the case of foreigners applying for citizenship without a Turkish mother or father, we have to go through a more rigorous system, including the interview, investigation into the marriage (if married to a Turk), etc.

• 1 year later...
On 07/04/2019 at 09:46, Ken Grubb said:

The procedure for citizenship will be different for Selim, because he has at least one Turkish parent. In his case, he is considered a Turk from the day he was born, so obtaining formal Turkish citizenship will be a lot easier.

In the case of foreigners applying for citizenship without a Turkish mother or father, we have to go through a more rigorous system, including the interview, investigation into the marriage (if married to a Turk), etc.

Hi Ken,

I'm not giving an update as such but i just find the process of getting Turkish Citizenship quite hard to understand

They want my Birth Certificate translated into Turkish and Notarised and Apostilled by the UK government (how do i do that?)

They want a report showing i have no Criminal Record and translated into Turkish and Notarised/Apostilled. (I have no idea on that too)

They want a letter or certificate showing I'm in good health (translated and Notarised/Apostilled) where do i get that?

and other things i can't remember right now

I tried to look online on google or find YouTube video showing a Turk born in a foreign country and showing step by step how to do this. So far i have found nothing.

I don't know if there is anyone on this forum who went through this process and share their experience with me. It would be very helpful!

I'm not Ken but I'll jump in with my knowledge. Btw, you don't have to google the exact process because I believe it's barely done, feel free to be the first though!! I recommend just researching the parts that you need.
Btw: I'm American so please do more research as I'm not entirely sure.
Birth Certificate: I found these links might be of help: https://www.apostille.org.uk/birth-certificates
https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

After you get that Apostilled you should get it translated and notarized (The embassy might help you with that part)

A criminal record I'm not sure in the UK but in the USA we'd have to be in the USA get fingerprinted and send it to the FBI for a check after 6 months they send you your record, if you're good then it'll say so. (Again I'm American and not sure of the UK process)

As for health, you might wanna double check if the embassy wants someone they know to check or if you're free to choose you're own doctor.

I personally might be doing this process soon but I'm in Turkey right now with a RP so I'm sure it's different.

Actually, I'm in the process of writing about citizenship and such documents! So I've already done the homework. Here is what I know:

They want my Birth Certificate translated into Turkish and Notarised and Apostilled by the UK government (how do i do that?)

For all foreign documents, first get the document, then get the apostille, then have both the document and the apostille translated into Turkish by a Turkish sworn translator. The translator will have their translation notarized by a Turkish notary, then return your document with the apostille and the notarized translation. So:

Once you have your birth certificate, go here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Once you have the apostille you need to get it translated by a sworn translator. This also involves a notary seal and signature. If you're not going to be in Turkey, contact the Turkish embassy or consulate for information about Turkish sworn translators and notaries in the UK. Usually they have businesses near the embassies and consulates. You'll likely just go to the translator. Then the translator will take the document to a Turkish notary. Once the Turkish notary stamps and signs it, your birth certificate will be as legal in Turkey as it is in the UK. Make sure you look on the back and record the document number. If you ever need a translated and notarized copy of your birth certificate again, you can just give that number to the notary and they can give you another notarized copy of it (no need to get the document again or have it translated again).

They want a report showing i have no Criminal Record and translated into Turkish and Notarised/Apostilled. (I have no idea on that too)

For the criminal record check document, go here:

https://www.acro.police.uk/

To get the apostille, go to the same link above concerning the birth certificate. The procedure is the same.

They want a letter or certificate showing I'm in good health (translated and Notarised/Apostilled) where do i get that?

In Turkey this is called a sağlık kurulu raporu or heyet raporu. It is a health report. In Turkey you would get one from a state hospital. In Turkey it's a letter, with your photo affixed to it, signed off by several doctors from different departments who basically give you a complete check-up for various things. Since things are different in the UK, you probably just need to go to a hospital and explain what you need and they'll know what to do. Since it's not Turkey, the Turkish embassy or consulate will accept whatever the UK system has.

Once you have the documents they need, make an appointment at the Turkish embassy or consulate again and take them what you have. Your citizenship process should be pretty easy after that.

Good luck with it! And please, come back and let us know how it went! :)

Hi Ken,

So you are writing an article about citizenship? When will that be done? Will this include information about being called in the army and the options to pay it off so you don't have to do your service or do a minimum service? Many people ask these questions and there is little correct information about this.

I'm assuming that once i get my citizenship they won't call me into the army right away? Also in Turkey they have little understanding about people who have autism and learning difficulties (that's me) because of that i feel i cannot do  army service but you have to somehow prove or explain to them that i can't do my army service because of these reasons? What do you think about that?

Anyway, thanks for the information you have given me. However i looked on the consulate site and it doesn't ask for a health report. Which i find strange because i think they did before! So i don't know if it is required anymore?

Plus they ask for 2 birth certificates and 2 police reports apostilled and notarised/translated, i wonder why this is? that's double the cost!

As for a Turkish sworn translator and/or notary in the UK, i found these guys and i think they said they work with the London consulate, so i guess i could use them? http://www.turkishtranslationlondon.co.uk/

I don't know when I'll be doing this but i will let you know any update on this topic! I'm looking forward to your reply!

Selim

Here are the guides I recently wrote about obtaining Turkish citizenship by birth, and Turkish citizenship and the military obligation. Besides reading the laws, and talking to the Population and Citizenship Directorate (Nüfus), I also had them reviewed by @Eglegal (Av. Ender Keleş), our community lawyer. See attached.

Please feel free to provide any positive or negative comments you might have. I want to be sure they make sense and are readable.

Citizenship and Military Obligation.docx

Citizenship by Birth.docx

Thank You for this Ken, nicely done :) But i want to ask @Eglegal Ender Bey If they call me into the military and i give them a reason of not being able to do it, say like mental health conditions like Autism and/or learning difficulties, will they accept those reasons to avoid doing military service?

^^ I did read somewhere that if you have a medical condition that will prevent you from serving in the military, you will be excused, if you have hospital documentation to back it up. I'm sure the embassy should know something about this.

@Ken Grubb Great stuff on the docs you made, one thing to mention is that in the embassy they might want to request both parents physically present for the process, no ifs ands or buts (I faced that in the US at their embassy).

@Selim1984uk, I don't think Ender could give you answer based on your personal situation, but yes, if a condition is such that it hinders you from doing your military service, you'll be excused. With autism or learning difficulties, it would depend on the severity of the condition, and only a doctor could diagnose that. I might suggest you use the links in the military service guide and contact the Turkish military recruiting authorities and ask them. Ultimately it is they who will decide who is fit for service and who isn't.

@Omer Varol, thanks for the suggestion! I will add that information before publishing. It is good to know someone who recently went through the process.