Selim1984uk

British Turk want to get Turkish Citizenship

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! :)

My name is Selim and i am a British Born Turk, My father is Turkish and my Mother is Turkish Cypriot.

For years now i want to get Turkish Citizenship via my father and i have looked into the process but it seems confusing and quite hard to do?

I contacted the Turkish Consulate in London and they told me i need my birth certificate, my UK passport and a Medical Certificate (Letter from Doctor saying I'm in good health?) I don't think a letter is enough, do i need to get a proper Health Certificate from somewhere?

My Birth Certificate, UK passport and other things have to be Translated, notarised and apostatised? Where on earth do i get my Documents translated and noterised?? I looked everywhere.

I found on the gov.uk website i can easily get the documents apostatised but the translation of the documents and notarisation is the hard part.

Plus,  i know that if i get my Turkish Citizenship they may call me into the Army.

It's something I'm not so keen on doing but i did look things up and if i paid (Bedeli Askeri) then i can pay off from not doing military service but it will show that it was done. It's £1,000's but i think it's worth it.

Any advice or help, i would be greatly appreciated :)

Selim

I contacted the Turkish Consulate in London and they told me i need my birth certificate, my UK passport and a Medical Certificate (Letter from Doctor saying I'm in good health?) I don't think a letter is enough, do i need to get a proper Health Certificate from somewhere?

If that is what they told you, then that is what they need. In Turkey, to get a health certificate, it often just requires blood work, and the doctor looking you over and asking you a few questions about your health. If you have some disease, it will show up in your blood work, and the doctor will probably do that before attesting to your health in a letter.

My Birth Certificate, UK passport and other things have to be Translated, notarised and apostatised? Where on earth do i get my Documents translated and noterised?? I looked everywhere.

Yes. First, get an apostille. You get this from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). You provide them with your documents, and they validate that their origin is genuine, then attach a document to them, which is the apostille. Then you need to get both the document and the apostille translated by a Turkish sworn translator. Contact your embassy or consulate to find out where one is in your area, they usually live somewhere near a Turkish embassy or consulate.

What I would recommend is first booking an appointment at a Turkish embassy or consulate. Take whatever you have to them, tell them that you want to become a Turkish citizen. They they will probably give you a list of things you need to do and tell you how to get them done.

You can book an appointment on Turkey's worldwide consular appointments website here:

Turkish Embassy and Consulate Appointment System

Plus,  i know that if i get my Turkish Citizenship they may call me into the Army.

Correct.

It's something I'm not so keen on doing but i did look things up and if i paid (Bedeli Askeri) then i can pay off from not doing military service but it will show that it was done. It's £1,000's but i think it's worth it.

I am aware of the bedelli system where your training can be reduced to a couple of weeks, but I wasn't aware you could pay to get out of it completely.

The citizenship process should be easy for you. You are already considered a Turkish citizen if you have a Turkish parent, it is mostly a formality going through the paperwork to get it, and your date of citizenship will be your date of birth. Good luck with it, I hope you'll let us know how things go for you. I would be interested in learning more about the process myself.

Hi Ken! Nice to meet you :)

Yeah, i did attempt to get Turkish Citizenship a few years ago but i put it on hold and all i got from my GP (Doctor) was a letter and i don't think that was enough. I think i need a proper Health Certificate from a private medical company.

Yes I'm aware of the appointment system and i've used it before to help my Dad get appointments to go to the Turkish consulate in London

Yes, i was told that when after foreigners get Turkish Citizenship, who are male, can pay off £6,000 for Bedelli Askeri so it pays it off and won't have to go into the army but get a letter saying it has been done or i have been exempted. (not sure which one).

I will let you know when i will start all this. At this time i will only get my Turkish Citizenship when i have enough money to pay off the Bedelli Askeri.

Great... good luck with it. I need to do some research to write an article about the bedelli system, so it will be nice to know someone who has actually used it. :)

Hi Selim, welcome to the forum.

I can't help with advice on aquiring Turkish citizanship but I am curious as to why you want it. How often do you visit Turkey, do you have strong ties with relatives or friends here, do you speak fluent Turkish ?

I don't want to scare you off but we see state funerals for Turkish soldiers every day. Your insistance in avoiding joining the military would suggest you don't wish to defend your country.

I have lived here in Turkey for 12 years and became a Turkish citizen 10 years ago. I married a Turkish woman in Istanbul 30 years ago. The procedure was, translation of my birth certificate and British passport. Both parents first names, a visit to the local courthouse for security check and criminal record. Medical check and fingerprints. An interview with the city mayor and the city counsil. 200TL fee and an 8 week wait. Whilst waiting the jandarma visited my house.

If I can do it, I'm sure you can too. Good luck.

Hiya,

Why i want it? I'm proud to be Turkish. That's why i want it. It will be useful to me. I have family and friends in Turkey and i do go every year.

To be honest but I'm not Army material. I feel i am not suited to go in the army and yes i am scared from doing it but it does not make me a coward. I'm just not Army material! Also i have Asperger's so that might complicate things if i were go into the Army.

Yeah it's a different process from when you do it in Turkey or when you are doing it in a consulate in a foreign country.

Sorry I wasn't any help and believe me I was not suggesting you were a coward.

My brother in law who lives in the USA will be pleased to find out that his sons who are of military age will not be pulled into the army when they visit here.

I wish you well.

No, Please don't mis-understand me. I know you didn't say it to me but i know other Turks will say to me that i'm a coward if i mention i don't want to serve in the Turkish Army

The procedure was, translation of my birth certificate and British passport. Both parents first names, a visit to the local courthouse for security check and criminal record. Medical check and fingerprints. An interview with the city mayor and the city counsil. 200TL fee and an 8 week wait. Whilst waiting the jandarma visited my house.

The procedure for citizenship will be different for Selim, because he has at least one Turkish parent. In his case, he is considered a Turk from the day he was born, so obtaining formal Turkish citizenship will be a lot easier.

In the case of foreigners applying for citizenship without a Turkish mother or father, we have to go through a more rigorous system, including the interview, investigation into the marriage (if married to a Turk), etc.