Dona Timani

How long is it taking to get an appointment in Istanbul?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, 
Has anyone recently applied for a residence permit in Istanbul? I applied two days ago and the system didn't provide me with any date options. I called 157 and they told me there aren't appointments available now and all I can do is wait for an email or check the website regularly to see if the appointment option appears (right now it's greyed out). Is that normal? Any idea how long it can take before I receive an appointment date?

I am Lebanese and my husband is American, we have remote jobs and are financially stable and we're paying a lot on rent so I can't think of a reason why our applications would be rejected. I applied for 20 months residence just because I purchased 2 year health insurance and my passport expires in June 2021, so I thought why not? I hope I made the right call, I just read in another topic thread that they're only giving 6 months to Middle Easterners. :(

Not just middle easterners, the same thing happened to us, we applied and yot less than 4 months, our background is north Africans, we are european and canadian.

We moved on wwith our lives, it would of been nice to live there for the duration that we had applied for, but helas it wasn't meant to be, we wiĺl visit Turkey and it's beautiful places in  the future Inshallah.

Apparently it is normal. They will send you an SMS or an e-mail to tell you when your appointment is (depends on your chosen method of communication). It can take up to a month or two. Be sure to keep an eye on your messages either way.

Don't go by what other people say. That person probably got six months, and was from the middle east, so he assumed the two were related and came to that conclusion. The DGMM treats each person as an individual. So just because they took some action with some person doesn't mean it will be the same in your case. Good luck with it in any case... I hope you'll let us know how things go.

Excellent! Good luck to you on your appointment. I hope you will update us on what happens, so we (and I) can get a better idea of the residence permit application process in Istanbul and how things work there. I hope your appointment goes smoothly and you get your residence permit. :)

Ok, quick update: We had our appointments in Besiktas. The person in charge only took photos, the health insurance, copies of our passports' first page and entry stamp page, a notarized rental contract, fees receipt, and the residence application. My husband was also asked to provide a copy of his e-visa, which thankfully he happened to be carrying with him. And then we were asked to go to a nearby tax office and pay some additional fees (about 587 TL each). I had already paid the fees listed on the residence application so I'm not sure what where the additional fees about but we got that sorted out and went back with our receipts. Then another officer added the receipt to our files and gave each one of us a "Teblig Tebellug Belgesi" form in Turkish that we also signed. 

And that's about it! The entire process was very quick. No one asked for any of the additional documents we had, like proof of income or marriage certificate...etc.  I am not sure what to expect now, I'm assuming we'll get an email or sms soon asking for more documents?

That's great... they asked for a lot less than they do for a lot of people. I've seen some posts here where they have sent an SMS message and asked for the person to bring additional documents, but I think they sent the message before the appointment, and not after. The only other time I have ever heard of them asking for additional documents was during the appointment. Since you successfully completed your appointment, :harika: you should now have temporary residence permits, so as far as I have ever heard from feedback on the process, you'll now get your residence permits in the mail, with no further documentation required. I'm glad to hear everything went well for you! :clap:

Hi again, 

Good news (just not sure how good they are):

We just received emails saying that our applications have been evaluated positively, so I think now I should be on the lookout for a PTT email or message.

I really want to start celebrating but I'm still not sure if the positive evaluation automatically means we will get the duration we asked for -- Does it? Or do we just wait and see what the residence card says? 

On 02/05/2019 at 11:18, Dona Timani said:

I'm still not sure if the positive evaluation automatically means we will get the duration we asked for -- Does it? Or do we just wait and see what the residence card says?

you must wait and see the expiration date on the card. Usually if the first application is for turistic reasons only 1 year is given but who know ...

Our interview was on the 16th, I got the email on 2 May - but my online status is still saying under assessment. I think I better call 157 to check. 

I called 157, I was told the online status will change to "check with PTT" or some similar message, once the residence card has been printed and sent

There seems to be some delay between the approval and the actual printing and sending of the card. You said the interview was on the 16th of April? That's not much time. In Antalya, I got my PTT message with the bar code around 40 days after my appointment. Istanbul can take longer.

Just a suggestion, if you call 157 again, and ask about the typical time it is taking for Istanbul, they might be able to tell you that. Often, in Turkey, you have to ask a very specific question to get the information you're seeking.

Hi Dona,

Have you got your RP which I hope very much? and for how long?

I just submitted my application for two days ago on the 16 May, and I am waiting to have the details about my appointment with the immigration officer, wish me luck please.

Wish you a nice weekend

Fada

I didn't get the actual residence card yet, but I went today to the Immigration Department and asked for my Foreign ID number (kimlik). They printed out a temp residence document showing all the details, the whole thing took 5 min. So really, once you get the email, you don't need to wait for the residence card.  As for duration, I had originally asked for something close to 18 months starting 1 April, but I got a bit less than one year with slightly different dates (28 March to 12 March 2020).

Just to recap, this is the entire timeline of my process so far:
1) I submitted my application on 1 April and set starting date 1 April 2019
2) My appointment was set for 16 April
3) I got the approval by email on 2 May

Now, I'm already thinking about next year's extension and how I can guarantee getting a year or more in Istanbul, or whether I should move to another city like Antalya to improve my chances or even buy a small apartment...  It's never too early to worry 

Anyway... Best of Luck Fada! :)

Thank you Dona for updating.

Sorry to know, that you did not get the required RP-Period.

Well I submitted my first application on the 16th May and I got an appointment on the 11th. of June 2019 (kadiykoy). 

I applied for 2 years from the 16th. of May, I have two years private insurance, my passport has over 60 days validity after the 2 years, I own my place and have enough money to support my self during these two years, let us see if I will get my request RP-Period.

The only different between me and you that I own my place, so do not hastate with buying a property unless you wanted for your own and not for the RP sake, until you see if owning a property will have an effect for the RP period or not, off course I will keep you updated.

By the way what happen for the different in RP-fee which you paid for 18 month and you get only 12 month RP? have they paid back to you?

Have a nice day

Fada

Now, I'm already thinking about next year's extension and how I can guarantee getting a year or more in Istanbul, or whether I should move to another city like Antalya to improve my chances or even buy a small apartment...  It's never too early to worry

It's impossible to say what the DGMM will do, of course. But as I understand it, for first-time residence permits, especially in Istanbul, they are giving a maximum of one year for first-time applications. Of course, there may be exceptions.

However, you have been welcomed as a resident. I see no reason why they would not extend your residence. My overall impression of the system is that they are quite generous in giving residence permits. Unfortunately, people abuse the system. And Turkey is in a very bad neighborhood, so they have to take precautions concerning those to whom they extend their hospitality.

If there is no reason to terminate your residence, you should have no problem extending it. I wouldn't worry about any work-around. Just re-apply when the time comes. As much as you might worry, you can't cross a bridge until you come to it.

On 22/05/2019 at 11:33, Fada said:

By the way what happen for the different in RP-fee which you paid for 18 month and you get only 12 month RP? have they paid back to you?

No, they didn't and I totally forgot about it, but I wasn't expecting to get any money back