Jump to content

Will buy a property but not before 90 day stay expires... tourist visa with explanation?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have been in turkey now for almost two months within these last 90 days and intend to settle after a short trip to europe next week. I will then apply for our short term residence. Our intention is to buy a property here in Alanya, but will not have made the purchase before our official 90 day allowance expires. We'll obviously have to apply as tourist extensions since we don't have a Tapu yet but am wondering if in applying for a tourist visa and explaining to the immigration officer we are here to purchase a property could be a source of a headache at the interview rather than a just asking for simple tourist residence permit and not tell them these plans?... We already have all residence permit requirements ready to go but want it to be hassle free as much as possible. What do you guys think? Thank you. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have thought about the same thing myself. 

Let's see what other experience memebers of the forum have to say. 

From what I have read so far, I think they want the applier to say more than just 'i want to reside in turkey for no other reason than to site see'. 

In other words, i think it will help if you tell them that you want to check out the place before you make the decision of buying a property. 

But again, someone with more experience should confirm things here.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to what an immigration specialist recently told me, here is what you need to do:

Return to Turkey and get whatever temporary accommodations you need. You'll either need a rental contract (even if it is short-term), or a letter from a hotel on hotel letterhead stating the duration of your stay. Then apply for a one-year or two-year residence permit.

Normally, if you are staying in a hotel or other such temporary residence, the residence permit will only be issued for the duration of your stay there. So, normally, if you are only going to be in a hotel or other such temporary place for 30 days, you could only get a residence permit for those 30 days.


If you are buying property, you just need to inform the immigration specialist of this during your appointment. If you are intending to buy property in Turkey, and live in it, they can give you a one or two-year residence permit based on your intentions, even though, at the time of the appointment, you will be staying in a hotel or other temporary lodging.

Later, when you buy the property and get the tapu (property title deed), you need to take that to the local DGMM office and report that you are now a property owner, and provide them with your new address. You need to do this within 20 business days after you receive the tapu.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MLG,  you can tell he official that you intend to purchase a property,but it won't make any difference to your Touristic application,as you won't have bought it by that time...so just make your application, By the way you stated you'll make an extension application,thats incorrect you need to make a 1st application if presently holding a  90 day visa.
As for the length of validity given for Touristic Residence Permit applications, most offices are now using the following...

many GOC offices are starting to apply the following…..
Non Property owners, [ie tenants & taahhatname holders]…..
Europeans and Canada and USA will get 1 year making a first application,  renewals can be up to 2 years.

Non property owners [ie tenants & taahhatname holders]…from,
Middle East and Asian countries will get 6 months residence for first applications and  renewals will be a maximum of 1 year.

Apologies for the large text,i copied & pasted the above from my files website..

As Ken said above,when you do move you must inform the GOC & Nufus office within 20 working days..

Here's the form you need for the GOC office to show regarding a new address,please download,print off then fill in to take with you.



loss.name change.p.port form.xlsx

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...