Jump to content

Child Maintenance & Changes


Recommended Posts


Am posting to see if anyone has been through anything similar and maybe can offer some advise.

Myself and 2 children live in Turkey, we are British with Turkish citizenship.  I divorced my husband back in 2015.  He is Turkish but lives in the UK

He gave me full custody of the children and agreed to pay a certain amount of money a month.  The amount to be paid was never documented on the divorce papers.

Initially he was paying the agreed amount, then he decided to change it to a lower amount after several months with no communication with myself.  When questioned he said it was because he was getting married and couldnt afford to send the amount.

He got married and then got divorced again.

He then again reduced the payments for the children - again no discussion with myself - said it was because the exchange rate was good and I get more!

The latest problem though is I have a new partner who comes and stays regularly.  He is not registered as living here with the Nufus address.  My ex husband is saying that if my new partner is living with myself and the children then he will stop paying for them (they are both under 12 years).  My main question is - can he do this eg is it law that if you have a new partner move in or you got married that the father can then stop paying for his children.

If anyone has been through a similar experience I would be interested to know your experience etc

Thanks in advance xxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Katyirir, 


The amount to be paid was never documented on the divorce papers.

According to your reference above, I assume that he has been making the payment not on the ground of a court ruling but only a verbal agreement between two of you.

For this reason, you unfortunately cannot enforce the law for your interest if he stops or reduces the amount of financial support.

However, you still have a right to claim child support before the family court. As we are talking about "child support", it is not a consideration point for judge whether you have a partner or not. Your children are entitled that just because of they are the children of your ex husband.

Wish you and your family the best, 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply

Correct - we agreed an amount between the 2 of us.  Since then he has reduced the payment 2 times and threatening to reduce again next month.  If he does then I will have to take him to court as the amount has already been halved.

Do you know how long or difficult this may be with me living in Turkey and with him in the UK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...