2019jackson

Timescale for applying for Short Term Residency

Rate this topic

Hi there, I am struggling with getting my head around when to apply. Obviously I will get a 90 day Visa to travel to Turkey from UK and presumably buy 90 day travel insurance. At what point do I apply for the Short Term Residency plus Turkish Health Insurance and how can I time it so as to maximize my 90 day visa and travel insurance?

Just to clarify, your e-visa will have a duration period of 180 days. So you can use it any time for 180 days after the start date of your e-visa. There is a rule that you must follow as well. You cannot stay in Turkey for more than 90 days during any 180-day period. So lets say you buy a visa and come to Turkey, and stay continuously.

You can apply, online, for your residence permit any time within 60 days of reaching your maximum of 90 days. So you can come, then after 30 days, apply online for your residence permit.

You will need to have health insurance for your residence permit. This is different from travel insurance. You need to have your policy before you apply online, because the online system will ask you for the insurance company name, the policy number, and the validity dates.

You can buy it easily online from a private Turkish health insurance provider, or just walk in to one of their offices and buy it (takes maybe 30-40 minutes). Most companies can issue you a policy with a start date up to 30 days in advance, so that gives you some flexibility. You MUST have this insurance policy active on the first day of the residence period you want.

I also understand that, if you are applying online for the first time, you can pick what date you want your residence permit validity period to begin.

The residence permit you will be issued will normally be for the duration you have selected, from a month to two years (if approved) or to the end of the validity period of your health insurance policy. So if you want to apply for two years, you will need two one-year health insurance policies, one for the first year, and one for the second, back-to-back.

I work with someone who provides residence permit assistance and also provides the health insurance. I am going to ask him if he will comment.

16 saat önce, 2019jackson yazdı:

Hi there, I am struggling with getting my head around when to apply. Obviously I will get a 90 day Visa to travel to Turkey from UK and presumably buy 90 day travel insurance. At what point do I apply for the Short Term Residency plus Turkish Health Insurance and how can I time it so as to maximize my 90 day visa and travel insurance?

Hi You have to apply for residency permit within your legal days in Turkey. That means before completing 90 days. Application have to be done online and on the online application process system will ask you to write  the Health insurance policy details.

After completing the online application you will get an appointment from İmmigration office. When you complete your application and get appointment  no probs if you exceed the 90 days

Thank you both. So is it fair to say that I buy the e-visa, 90 days travel insurance, then, at the beginning of the third month, purchase 1 years turkish health insurance and ask for the start date to be the 91st day after arrival and then apply for the short term residency.

Unfortunately, travel insurance doesn't meet the standards set by the DGMM for a residence permit. You have to be insured by approved health insurance, in your case it would come from a private company in Turkey. You must be insured by that insurance on the date of your interview at latest.

If you are interested, you can buy it online here:

Residence Permit Health Insurance

Or at least get a free quote to learn how much it costs.

11 saat önce, 2019jackson yazdı:

Thank you both. So is it fair to say that I buy the e-visa, 90 days travel insurance, then, at the beginning of the third month, purchase 1 years turkish health insurance and ask for the start date to be the 91st day after arrival and then apply for the short term residency.

Hi, When you start the online application this date will be the starting date of residency permit. You can chose a date in future but immigration office will not let this.
To not to lose your days on touristic visa dont wait till the 90th day of visa. Becouse sometimes system down and you cant complete your application. (we have seen from 3 days to 20 days sytem problems)

Jackson,as stated above the online RP application site regularly suffers with I.T. problems,there are a few ways around some hiccups,but usually putting the section into Turkish language works. You MUST decide to have the start date of the RP anytime of your choice before the 90th day of your stay with your evisa & have your private health cover to start the day AFTER the start date of the RP.

If you fail to be able to successfully complete & submit the online form you must then on the 90th day of your stay on the visa,go to your GOC office & inform them you've been constantly trying , & receive a letter from them that covers you to continue trying until you succeed. This only covers you if there are problems with the site. If the failure to complete within the timescale is due to you filling in a section incorrectly ,therefore not being able to continue,then you'll not be offered the form, and be running out of time to complete & submit the application..

I just called the DGMM. I have been meaning to do this because the questions asked here are the same ones I have had.

Here is the question I asked the immigration official:

"I am here on a visa and can stay for 90 days. I want to apply for a residence permit but must buy my health insurance first. The agent says he can make the start date of the insurance up to 30 days later. What is the latest day the insurance policy must start?"

This is what the immigration official said:

"You can choose the start date of the residence permit while you are applying online, to cover the residence period you want."

"The health insurance policy must have a start day on the same day as the start day of your residence permit. And it must cover the residence period you are asking for."

"It can start before that time, but, if you have a one-year health insurance policy, and you are asking for one year of residence, and your health insurance policy starts ten days before the start of your residence permit, and ends ten days before the one-year period of residence you are asking for, then your residence permit will be issued with a validity period of 355 days and not 365, because it can only be issued until the expiration date of your health insurance policy."

So apparently, you can choose a start date on the day after your 90 days in Turkey expires. And you can arrange your foreigner health insurance to start on that day as well.

It seems to me that you could determine the date on which your time on the visa ends, and the day after, which should be the start date of your residence permit.

Then 30 days prior to your residence permit start date, get your health insurance to start on the start date, then in the online system designate that start date as the first day of your residence period.

Please correct me if I have any of this wrong. Because I only extend my residence permit, I have not had this first-time application issue for a long time.