Rate this topic

When I built my house in 2007 I opted for LPG to fuel my central heating boiler and my gas hob in the kitchen. Aygaz gave the contract to install all the pipework to a local company, Mak-el. On completion Aygaz came to site to carry out a full inspection of the instalation and signed it off complying with the regulations.

Now after eleven years they are telling me that new legislation makes my isolating valve below the hob illegal and has to be changed to bring it into compliance. This involves having the granite worktop drilled with holes to allow the pipework to be extended above the worktop where they will fit an isolating valve then pass back to below to reconnect to the flexible pipe to the cooker hob.

The cost of their work will be 900TL. We have to commission a marble company to drill these holes which they say will fill the kitchen with dust. Additionally we have no idea what the marble company are going to charge.

Before I retired in the UK I was a CORGI registered gas engineer. Faulty or dangerous installations would have to be brought up to current standards at the customers  expense. Legislation upgrades were not applied retrospectively if the instaltion was sound and safe.

We are looking at ways to fight this, not because of the cost but more to do with what a dogs dinner this is going to be in the kitcken that my wife loves.

We had this about 5 years ago. they insisted on fitting a 'safety switch' bloody great ugly thing next to my cooker. i tried all sorts, putting it in the pantry round the corner but out of sight (could still reach it while cooking). they would not. End result we had them disconnect the pipes from the main underground tank to the kitchen and fitted an ordinary gas bottle in the pantry.

As part of this 'safety upgrade' they insisted on new pipe from the tank to the basement where the boiler is. We had to pay for it. But they did not send anyone to dig the trench (about 30m). Fortunately we have a man who does, in the village. We had to pay him too.

In retrospect we have had great treatment from Aygaz, apart from this blip. They send a technician to check the tank every year even though we do not buy a lot of gas and we are waaayy of the beaten track.

JANUARY 21st

What a difference a day makes. I have managed to get a telephone number for the company who carried out the instalation back then. My wifes cousin who has an engineering backgound and speaks Turkish is going to call by so I can show him the

After much though and consideration my wife has decided not to allow Aygaz to ruin her kitchen. We are going to have a 45kg cylinder outside the kitchen. Today my gardener came and he formed a base for the bottle. Tomorrow Aygaz will come in the afternoon to cut their supply to our kitchen. On Thursday Milangaz will make the alterations to the existing pipework and divert it to their cylinder.

Screenshot_20190212-202848_Gallery.jpg

The guys from Milangaz arrived at 9:45am this morning and were finished at 11:00am. My wife asked them if they were going to paint the pipe, they told here they didn't have any on board but would return soon to do it. They cleared debris from inside the pipe, tested for leaks and commissioned the kitchen hob.

Job done and costing less than the nonsence Aygaz wanted to do.

Screenshot_20190214-110949_Gallery.jpg