Aisha Bilal

short term residency

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have a question about short term residency for a family. We arrived in Turkey on August, 13 2018. We hired a lawyer to help us with obtaining the residency. We had an appointment on Jan,3 but when we went for the appointment we found out that the lawyer had filled in the wrong date of arrival on the form ( he filled in our date of arrival as august 31st). I dont speak turkish so I dont know if we were denied or if we just needed to fix that error. 

My question is 

1) As we have already overstayed the 90 days of our 180 day tourist visa do we have to leave the country or can we just reapply ( our 180 day visa is up on Feb,13th)

2) If we leave the country can I just go to Bulgaria and turn around. and if I do leave will I have to pay fines and do I have to get a new tourist visa. My husband already has a Turkish ID number.

Thanks for any help.

Do you still have an appointment or have you missed it?

1) As we have already overstayed the 90 days of our 180 day tourist visa do we have to leave the country or can we just reapply ( our 180 day visa is up on Feb,13th)

If you have overstayed, and don't have an appointment, you have to leave the country and come back in 90 days. Then you can reapply.

2) If we leave the country can I just go to Bulgaria and turn around. and if I do leave will I have to pay fines and do I have to get a new tourist visa. My husband already has a Turkish ID number.

Not with a visa. Even if you get a new e-visa, you would still be over 90 days in Turkey in the past 180 days. So you have to leave, then come back after 90 days have passed. then the amount in Turkey you will have had in the previous 180 days will be less than 90, and you can return to Turkey.

When you say "Turkish ID number," do you mean he is a citizen? Or does he have a yabancı kimlik numarası (foreigners ID number)? It wouldn't matter anyway, since even if he is a Turkish citizen and can re-enter Turkey, you and other members cannot, because you have already been in Turkey for more than 90 days in the past 180 days, and you don't have a residence permit.

Thanks for the reply.

We did not miss our appointment. We had hired a lawyer to help us take care of the short term rp. The lawyer mixed up the dates of arrival. We told him we arrived on the 13th, of August but he filed as if we came in on the 31st.  It is a long story but basically he filed the paperwork too late, (it would have been fine if we had in fact entered on the 31st instead of 20 days earlier)   The appointment we received was for the 3rd of January. It was there that the problem with the dates came up. We knew that if we were allowed to stay in the country until the date of the appointment so were not worried when we got the appointment on Jan 3rd and never knew that the whole time the lawyer had flipped our dates around. We subsequently found out that the wrong dates that was the problem at the appointment. Anyhow we have called the number 157 and were instructed to head to the immigration office first and that we we will have to leave the country. 

No problem with the typos, a lot of members aren't native English speakers. We're just glad you're here.

A good decision on your part to call 157, it is always best to get information from the DGMM directly.

I am a little confused though. If you have successfully submitted your application, online, before you have exceeded the allowed number of days on your visa, then you can stay legally until your appointment. It doesn't matter when the appointment is... if it is tomorrow or three months from now, you can stay in Turkey with your application until your appointment. But you cannot apply online after you have overstayed... in that case you have to leave the country and return, because you would not be legally in Turkey with the visa and you would not have your completed application yet. So you would have to leave, return legally with the visa, then apply online and download and print your application. Then stay in Turkey until your appointment.

So you went to your appointment? And at the appointment it was just a problem with the wrong date of arrival? As I understand it, in those cases, they can just fix the date of arrival at the appointment. But perhaps in this case it doesn't work that way.