Rate this topic

I was in the process of renewing my resident permit when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I had to leave almost immediately to care for her. I did not have everything ready to submit so I submitted what  I had and left Turkey.  My application was subsequently rejected. I knew that this was going to happen so I went and got a 15 day travel document. I have been in the US for 6 months which is obviously way longer than 15 days. I am ready to go back- I have my e-visa and ticket. What can I expect when I arrive in Istanbul? Am I going to have to pay some kind of fine for staying out longer than 15 day? TIA

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom, I hope everything comes out okay and she recovers.

There's no fine for staying outside of Turkey. As I understand it, if your residence permit application is rejected, you can re-apply after six months. So you should just be able to get a new e-visa, re-enter Turkey, and re-apply.

Note: Information was incorrect... see the correction in my next post.

I'm glad you asked that, because I just called the Directorate General of Migration Management's 157 customer service number and asked them.

They said that because you were not rejected. That is, you didn't go to your appointment and submit a package that was rejected for some reason. So you can simply come back and apply again any time you want.

That came directly from the DGMM, my apologies for not calling them to make sure first!