Rate this topic

Hello ,

Seasons Greetings to everyone.

My wife and I have had a place in Kalkan for many years and have decided to apply for residency when we return next week.At age 65 I am having  a problem finding a health insurance company offering affordable cover and wonder if anyone can help with a solution.

SGK doesn’t require over 65s to have health insurance to qualify for the Residency Permit but does anyone know if I can join SGK at 65 without having to buy private health cover for my first year of residency?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Peter

You have to live in Turkey for at least one year before you can apply for SGK, so for that reason you would normally have to buy a private health insurance policy. But since you are over 65, even that is not required. You can get a residence permit without health insurance for the first year if you want to, then after the first year apply for SGK coverage.

Thanks for your reply Ken. I appreciate Im not required to have health insurance at age 65 but I’m  nervous about not having any.

What  I’m trying to establish is whether or not I can access SGK immediately once I have my RP next month. Or do I have to wait a year?

In another forum a Kalkan resident tells me that at age 65 he was able to access SGK as soon as he got his RP. I wonder if SGK offices in different  areas have different interpretation of the regulations.I guess I need to call in to speak to them .

Thanks again.

OK I see. While the "rules" say that you have to wait a year, come to think of it I have also heard of people being accepted into SGK without having to wait a year. So perhaps you can... if you do call SGK would you mind letting us know what they tell you?