Dean

Antalya Secure Compounds - Security Really Needed?

Rate this topic

Hi,

Is 24/7 security really needed in a compound in Antalya?

I mean, is it dangerous, are robberies common. What exactly are the security "securing" against?

Any real-world, first-hand experience appreciated (as new to Antalya) and deciding on a place to live (outskirts of Antalya).

teşekkür ederim/thank you. 

I assume you're talking about a gated community of apartments. Burglaries are more common, robberies not so much. Then tend to be more by someone who wants to get in and get out undetected than the home-invasion type. There are some easy ways to defeat the locks on even a steel door, so besides windows, burglars can come in through the front door, unless it is double-bolted like it should be. If you can get a place with security, of course it would be a plus. Otherwise nobody will be checking who comes in to the site.

To put things into perspective, we have owned in Turkey for more than 30 years. I have not heard of anyone we know personally who has been robbed. this is a quite different story to the UK. As Ken says, unoccupied properties may get robbed occasionally but it is most unlikely that anyone would enter a property whilst the owner is in. I have lost count of the number of days when we wake to realise that we had left the keys in the door all night.

Thank you very much Ken and Ibrahim for taking time to share your first-hand knowledge. I'm fresh off the boat and appreciate veteran insight.

Coming from UK and Spain I noticed a heightened state of security and was wondering why such overt presence. Thank you for your insight as it's always best to hear it from seasoned locals who tell it like it is.

In Spain, living in the countryside (El Campo) requires security: dogs, fence, alarm, etc as robberies are common. It's why secure, gated 24/7 security compounds are sought-after by expats and the security-conscious who pay a premium (in management fees).

I noticed some remote country homes for sale on Sahibinden have barbed wire fencing.

Would the Spanish countryside example be the case in remote/countryside Antalya?

We live in a village of about 80 people, 25km from town. We do not have immediate neighbours, the nearest are about 60m away. We have dogs (mainly because we love them), out fences can be climbed in about 4 seconds, they are to keep our dogs in, and other dogs out. Dogs are not really good for security as they can easily be poisoned. We have considered CCTV cameras, but this is not because we feel we need them, but it would be good to be able to see what the dogs are barking at, without going to look. It is normally wild boar.

Invaluable, teşekkür ederim IbrahimAbi.

If we weren't located so far away I would happily train your dogs to not eat any food under any circumstances unless by your verbal or visual command. I've had experience with large/strong working (guard) dog breeds for asset/human protection and overall general obedience. In interviews by police with criminals caught (for robbery/burglaries) the number one fear/impediment/deterrent to a target property given by all criminals was the presence of a (working) dog. It takes a lot of training, but once done, it's programmed for life. Wish I could do the same with the kids. 

Just want to clarify that burglary is stealing from a dwelling, either while occupied or unoccupied, whereas robbery is stealing from a person by force or threat of force. When I lived in Izmir burglaries were more common. In some cases the burglars would use the very bars and cages on balconies to reach unprotected balconies above, where in summer the doors were unlocked or open. A friend of mine once awoke in his bed to find a man reaching over him for his wallet. The burglar ran and scrambled over the balcony and climbed down as fast as he could. Unfortunately for the burglar, my friend's gravity-assisted toolbox made the descent a lot faster than he could.

I remember walking past a building with an apartment on like the fourth or fifth floor which had been burgled, with people looking up and saying "how in the world did anyone get up there?" I've heard of other similar cases. I always live on the top floor and have a steel door which I keep fully-locked. Yet the burglars have even found a way to deal with that. They go to a floor and ring the bells with a pretense. Once the find nobody is home they start working on one of the doors. Whenever the elevator moves they watch the numbers to see if the elevator is coming. If it is arriving at the floor they're on the run down the stairs.

Then there is the "door swarm." Some nice lady rings your bell, and when you open the door she and two other ladies rush in. While one distracts you the other two go in other directions swiping whatever is handy, then they run out in a flurry.

One of the main reasons a security guard at the gate and one doing random patrols is a good idea. That and cameras record who is coming and going, and anyone who seems suspicious is noticed, and questioned. It increases the probability of being identified and arrested.

Security is like this old story. Two campers were suddenly awaken by a ferocious bear. Both campers were barefoot, and one of them started putting on a pair of running shoes. The second asked, incredulously, "what are you doing? We have to outrun the bear!" And the first one said "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."

There is no "100% security," but the harder target you are, the more likely a burglar, or any other criminal, will go for an easier target. I think having security present, with entry control, goes a long way to make a place a harder target.

I wrote a few articles about crime and safety in Turkey if anyone is interested.

teşekkür ederim KenBey,

Awesome insight. I loved the article.

Very valuable points. Will consider the above measures + 2x *Kangals (and *ear plugs for the all-night barking).

I used to be a police dog handler, and so had a very well trained German Shepherd in my house. God help any burglar who might try to break in! Perhaps some day I will have a villa with a large enough yard so I can have another one.