Sign in to follow this  
Mousa Otbah

Opening a bank account

Rate this topic

First thank you for reading my question this is my first post

I'm new here in Turkey and I have just received my residency permit. I wanted to open a bank account with Ziraat Bankası but I started coming across red flags as I was reading online like "Turkey is a high risk country!" and "The bank's credit card might not work online at all" etc, so I want to know are these concerns valid and/or is there a way around them?

I just want to highlight that online shopping from (Amazon US)is very important to me so if I'm not going to be able to do so.. is there a work around it?

Your answer is most appreciated, thank you.

Hi Mousa, welcome to the Forum. We have Turkish bank accounts, our cards (from Is Bankasi and Garanti Bankasi) work fine overseas, we buy from Amazon UK regularly, no worries.

Wow, Mousa, in your first post you have asked some excellent questions. I will do my best to answer them.

Turkey is a high risk country!

The credit card companies do rate Turkey as a high risk for credit card fraud. After living here for 15 years my bank in the USA has occasionally questioned a few transactions, or blocked my card because I was trying to buy some high-dollar item. And I have to call their fraud department to let them know that the charges are mine. And that I do indeed live in Turkey. Everything gets resolved, and I always thank them for doing what must be a thankless job.

As for your savings, the Turkish government guarantees savings for amounts up to 100,000 TL. If it's guaranteed by the government, it's risk-free, because the government can always raise taxes to meet its obligations. That means it won't go bankrupt, so you can consider your savings secure. If your savings exceed 100,000 TL, then open an account in another bank. You'll get the same guarantee there.

The bank's credit card might not work online at all

Yes it will. Just go to the bank and let them know that you want your card to be opened for international purchases and for use online. They will arrange it on the spot.

I just want to highlight that online shopping from (Amazon US)is very important to me so if I'm not going to be able to do so.. is there a work around it?

To repeat what IbrahimAbi said... I am also from the USA, but here in Turkey I buy from amazon.co.uk. They have the same products, the shipping is much cheaper, and if you want to buy a product from a third party, they'll be in the UK, or somewhere nearby, and will be a lot more likely to ship to Turkey than a company in the USA. Amazon.co.uk is a completely different company and website, so you will need to set up a separate membership with them.