Sign in to follow this  
Bibatulips

We applied for two years RP and got 5 months!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

Well as you read from the title we had applied for 2 years PR and today we got 5 months which is actually just 4 months because they included the wait time for the appointment which was one month. Considering all the headeach, confusion and expenses and especially the financial side of it all when it all adds up it acttually a lot to be invested for a short periode of time. The reason I'm posting today is not to complain about what happened to us(I feel like **** but let's put that aside for now), but to make future applicants aware that this could possibly be your result too. I have to include that during the interview we were asked whether we are going to buy a house here, we said not at the moment but maybe in the future, although we were advised by someone  that we have to say that we want to buy NOW or else they might give us a short permit, we chose not to be put on the spot especially since we had never heard or read about this before.

I don't know if it's worth it to stay the 4 months or just pack up and leave.

It's ridiculous that they ask you to get one year rental, one year health insurance then they give you 5 month or less, I have called 157 and they told me that it could be less or our application could even be rejected, this is not fair. He didn't even look at our bank statments if he did he would know that I don't need to work for years to come.

The ĢöG practices are neither fair or just, plus they really need to retrain their staff too, they are rude and extremly disrespectful, they need to treat people with dignity regardless of what color their passport is. I have witnessed the way they treat people and I was like what %%$##$$!!!!! 

They were like that with me last year.  He even said I could go to jail.  Once they found out I worked in the free trade zone and that was handled by the Ministry of Finance he changed his tune and became very nice.  They even sent a manager to help me out.

It's ridiculous that they ask you to get one year rental, one year health insurance then they give you 5 month or less

You can go back to the company which provided the insurance and get a refund for the unused portion. But be sure you are covered for the entire time you actually have the residence permit.

Oh really, I will definitely try that, I will let you know how that went. What do you think I should do about the 1 year rent contract, the greedy landlord manged to get another 425tl non refundable deposit, because I couldn't have the water under my name,he threatened to cut off the water if we didn't. 

Thank you Ken You're Awesome!

in the middle of September, the interior minister came to istanbul and meet with local goç idaresi and after that meeting the procedure for obtaining residence permit in Istanbul came back to normality. If you applied before 15 september 2018 you was asked for a lot of additional documents (like health and criminal record) and turistic residence permit was sometimes limited to 5 months. Those who applied after 15 september 2018 got a full 1 year and no additional documents was requested. So, i suppose you applied before 15 september 2018. Next time you'll get a full 1 year.

Thank you wbtcpip for your info. We actually applied on 20 October 2018, In Bursa though, so don't really know what other reason the Goc has than repelling foreigners from coming here. Our plan was to stay here for one year maybe a month or two longer, slapping us in the face with 5 months ( 4 month if you don't count the waiting period), is causing us to deeply regret it all. 

what is your nationality?

According to latest infos only property owners will get two years residency on first application.
Non Property owners,
Europeans and Canada and USA will get 1 year for first applications, renewals can be 2 years.
Non Property owners from,
Middle East and Asian countries will get 6 months residence for first applications and renewals will be maximum 1 year.

Thank you wbtcpip, like Johnny Nash said : " I can see clearly now the rain is gone "

European & Canadian, however we have been referred to as Syrians since we came here, maybe we look Syrian?! I don't know. It does explain why the agent was asking us whether we are going to buy a property here, I guess he was thinking "If it looks like a duck waddles like a duck, its a DUCK.

I don't know what else to say.

7 hours ago, Bibatulips said:

Thank you wbtcpip, like Johnny Nash said : " I can see clearly now the rain is gone "

I'm Dutch, hubby and kids are Canadians, however we have been referred to as Syrians since we came here, maybe we look Syrian?! I don't know. It does explain why the agent was asking us whether we are going to buy a property here, I guess he was thinking "If it looks like a duck waddles like a duck, its a DUCK.

I don't know what else to say.

yes probably they gave you the permit for the nationality you look like, not the nationality you are from eh eh

Hi

Just to fill you in on our recent Istanbul Ikamet Renewal experience which was mostly positive. We applied by post on 31st Oct and got the cards back on 24th Nov - so three and half weeks. We applied for 1 year and got 1 year. Standard documents only sent in.

It seems the Website now works in English at last. The only real complaint I have is that each time I got to the end of the application it would sometimes offer me "Print Application" and sometimes "Apply for Randezvous and Print". I really didn't want the bother of an unnecessary interview but whatever I selected the page just went blank and took me back to the beginning where I had to type the reference no in again. However eventually for both us it allowed us to Print Application and post off to Bakirkoy. So the lesson is if it asking you for an interview just keep trying until you just get the option to Print and Post (this will be for renewals only).

I checked the application progress most days and it just said "under assessment" then all of a sudden on a Friday evening a text came from PTT saying it was being delivered the next day which it was. There was no intermediate text saying our application was successful.

A friend of mine who had an interview wasn't quite so lucky. He bought 2 years insurance and was told he could pay the $140 for 2 years RP and they would give him 2 years. So he did and his card came back with only 1 year. 

Hello everyone,

So just to update you all on our situation, our kids got a separate appointment because of a glitch in the system, we were on the border of either leaving or staying, the decision was if the kids get their cards with zero complications we might wait out the 5 months. We had to get their, birth certificates Apostle stamps, translated, notarised, and registered with the kaimakam, all must be done within 7 days, even though the paper said 30 days.

we added up all the cost and headache, new birth certificates, mailing, the likelihood of getting my mail and possibly losing the documents, the headache, rushing, stress ....We decided to pull out, this wasn't worth it for us. I took ken's advice and asked about getting a refund for the unused insurance, we could get refund starting from the expiry of the kimlik, the kids don't have kimlik, so no refund.

At the airport, the kids didn't have kimlik, so they had to pay a fine for 9 days overstay, I gave them the Gog paper that was valid for 2 more weeks, they didn't even want to look at it, he started filling the fine slips 177tl for each child, then he collected then again, and wrote out other125 tl for each one, I was super friendly, he officer was super rude and looked angry, he gave me the slips and pointed at the maliye to pay the fine, he kept  our passport, the officer there spoke English, they accepted only cash, I asked him what would happen if I decided not to pay the fine, he didn't speak English anymore luckily I had some American dollars, exchanged them at booth next to him, payed got a print out, I took it back to the officer he possessed one after the other and threw them at the counter, he said tamam I replied Ok, and left rushing to the passport control, we had almost missed our flights.

As your applications had not been completed,so therefore not officially refused by the GOC,you cannot obtain the 10 day exit grace letters. You chose to stop your application process, so therefore you had to pay the overstay fine. Unfortunate for you,but 100% legitimate by the Immigration Polis.

The GOC state on their website.....

As of  November 2018, many GOC offices are starting to apply the following…..
Non Property owners, [ie tenants & taahhatname holders]…..
Europeans and Canada and USA will get 1 year making a first application,  renewals can be up to 2 years.

Non property owners [ie tenants & taahhatname holders]…from,
Middle East and Asian countries will get a maximum of 6 months residence for first applications and  renewals will be a maximum of 1 year.
Only property owners may get offered two years residency for first applications & renewals.