Canceling a Residence Permit Application in One City in Turkey and Applying in Another City

Rate this topic

I applied my short term residence in Tekirdağ/Turkey. And now I want to cancel my application and want to apply from Istanbul. My question is this possible?

Second I would like to ask if my application rejected from Tekirdağ, can I apply from Istanbul?

Thirdly, I made a rent agreement for 1 year. If my application rejected, then I will go back to my home country. My question is do I have to pay the full year rent to my landlord?

Fourthly, immigration officer told me to pay for an extra 4 months fee bcz I applied for only 2 months n paid that as well too. So I paid in the tax department but now I want to stay for a year. My question is can I pay for 6 months more at tax department by acquiring them how much it will be for my country and they will tell me and then I pay by my tax no?

And then I will go to the immigration officer with other required document as he asked like he asked to make a new contract starting from atleast the start date of your residence period date and due to mistake in address. Because he already changed the period by hand on application for 6 months. If I take the fees he might will change it to 1 yr.

Yasir....

1. You can cancel your application & apply elsewhere,but you'll have to start from scratch & accept any monies paid up to now will be lost. Also no doubt your private health cover will be useless too,so you'll need a new one dated to start with your new RP.....this is assuming you will still be within your visa date 30/90 days...after that time expires you must either have an RP application submitted or be out of the country.

2. If your application is rejected then you cannot apply for the same type of RP for 6 months.

3. You can give notice to your landlord...it's best to do this in writing & have it noterised therefore making it a legal document.

4.  If you have submitted your application & it's been accepted at your interview,it's too late to make any adjustments. The application is now out of his hands and being reviewed by Ankara. You'll need to make another application for the extra months.

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU MY CASE IS A EXCEPTIONAL CASE N NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO DEAL IT BUT I HOPE AS AFTER READING YOUR FORUM LATEST POSTS FOR MORE THAN 5 HOURS THAT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GUIDE ME.

1- I came here on a visit visa of 7 days that expired on 5 Oct 2018 and I'm a Pakistani national. Kindly suggest me what other options I have to stay here especially in Istanbul. Moreover I am doing a TEFL certification to teach English to learners. Please guide me.

2- I applied for short term residence permit with reason as "tourism purpose"

With same type you mean I have to change my reason to any other then I can apply.

3- Turkish one of the standard clauses says If I leave I have to pay the remaining months rent. And my landlord is in financial crisis. Thus she emphasise me to stay even though I want to move to Istanbul after getting residence. And for sake of residence I accepted her this term verbally after one month of making the contract but it doesn't seems to make a sense that why you pay 1 year rent. I told my landlord I will give you a one month notice then I can leave without having to pay you any money but she said you cant because you have to stay here after getting residence and if you want to leave then you have to pay the remaining months. It's seems like I'm trapped in here...

4- No my application has not been accepted yet due to the issue of difference in application address and rent agreement address thus still is in assesment stage I suppose as per screenshot of my online application status stays " It is under assessment" (attached image). Last day I went to immigration office with new rent agreement with correct dates and address he accepted it but he is demanding the apartment property documents photocopy (Tapu). I'm going to with my landlord to immigration department to give the documents but I'm afraid they will raise another objection because of the apartment is own by her husband and rent agreement is made by landlord (her wife). My question is there would be any problem if property own by husband and rent agreement made by her wife?

Note: I'm having this all mess of due to difference in address. My advice to everyone is to double or triple check your application before submitting because single clerical mistake can be a reason of rejection.

1- I came here on a visit visa of 7 days that expired on 5 Oct 2018 and I'm a Pakistani national. Kindly suggest me what other options I have to stay here especially in Istanbul. Moreover I am doing a TEFL certification to teach English to learners. Please guide me.

The only option you have is to apply for a residence permit, which you have done.

2- I applied for short term residence permit with reason as "tourism purpose" 

With same type you mean I have to change my reason to any other then I can apply.

You can only change your reason if your status changes, and it doesn't sound like it has. You are still here for what they call a "tourist purpose."

3- Turkish one of the standard clauses says If I leave I have to pay the remaining months rent. And my landlord is in financial crisis. Thus she emphasise me to stay even though I want to move to Istanbul after getting residence. And for sake of residence I accepted her this term verbally after one month of making the contract but it doesn't seems to make a sense that why you pay 1 year rent. I told my landlord I will give you a one month notice then I can leave without having to pay you any money but she said you cant because you have to stay here after getting residence and if you want to leave then you have to pay the remaining months. It's seems like I'm trapped in here...

If you signed a rental contract for one year, then you are legally required to pay rent for the whole year. If you leave before that, you have still signed a contract for one year and have to pay for the whole year. The landlord can take you to court, but from what I have heard from a few lawyers is that the judge typically only requires the tenant pay two or three months additional rent after they leave, so the landlord can get another tenant. So the contracts are not always strictly enforced.

When you give notice to your landlord, you must do it 30 days in advance. And you must do it through a notary. The notary will draw up a "notarial notification" and send it on your behalf, which enables you to prove that you provided proper notice.

My question is there would be any problem if property own by husband and rent agreement made by her wife?

I doubt it, especially if she can show evidence that she is married to the landlord. But there is no way to know this for sure until you go and ask them.

2 hours ago, Ken Grubb said:

The only option you have is to apply for a residence permit, which you have done.

You can only change your reason if your status changes, and it doesn't sound like it has. You are still here for what they call a "tourist purpose."

If you signed a rental contract for one year, then you are legally required to pay rent for the whole year. If you leave before that, you have still signed a contract for one year and have to pay for the whole year. The landlord can take you to court, but from what I have heard from a few lawyers is that the judge typically only requires the tenant pay two or three months additional rent after they leave, so the landlord can get another tenant. So the contracts are not always strictly enforced.

When you give notice to your landlord, you must do it 30 days in advance. And you must do it through a notary. The notary will draw up a "notarial notification" and send it on your behalf, which enables you to prove that you provided proper notice.

I doubt it, especially if she can show evidence that she is married to the landlord. But there is no way to know this for sure until you go and ask them.

Thanks Ken and Redders for replying. I have some more queries that I would like to ask. It will be very kind of you if you reply it as well.

2- I want to buy an apartment in Istanbul. In this scanerio, doesn't my status change from visitor to investor. 

3- How much does notary charge (estimated fee) for the service you mentioned?

4-  I'm going to visit the immigration officer today with the property documents. If the immigration officer doesn't accept the agreement and insist on being signed by the landlord(husband) then I'm thinking of another option.

Immigration officer is quite cooperative and I'm saying this because I will visit him for the fourth time today and I am thinking If I talk to him about my problem and ask him can I give another rent agreement of other place with property documents matching address and agreement signed by landlord. Then the problem might be solved. What you suggest? 

5- I heard Turkey started to refuse alot of short term residence. Is this true?

As I applied through Tekirdağ that has very less pending applications as compare to Istanbul and Ankara, so I think I shouldn't worry.

Moreover, can I reside and do job in another city after getting residence? I would like to move to Istanbul.

2- I want to buy an apartment in Istanbul. In this scanerio, doesn't my status change from visitor to investor. 

This is my take on it.

Not really, in the sense that a short-term residence permit is still a short-term residence permit. I have been renting in Turkey for years. They continually renew my residence permit, and I don't own any property in Turkey. From what I have learned from the immigration officials, it always pertains to the individual and the situation.

3- How much does notary charge (estimated fee) for the service you mentioned? 

I don't know... you would have to ask the notary about this.

4-  I'm going to visit the immigration officer today with the property documents. If the immigration officer doesn't accept the agreement and insist on being signed by the landlord(husband) then I'm thinking of another option.

There is no way I, or anybody else here, can comment about how an individual immigration officer will act... all I can do is wish you the best!

5- I heard Turkey started to refuse alot of short term residence. Is this true?

From what I understand, it is true. But it is mainly because the applicants fill out the information in the wrong way, or fail to meet the minimum requirements, or provide false documentation.

As I applied through Tekirdağ that has very less pending applications as compare to Istanbul and Ankara, so I think I shouldn't worry.

Hopefully your application will be processed quickly.

Moreover, can I reside and do job in another city after getting residence? I would like to move to Istanbul.

When you say "do job," do you mean work? No. You cannot work in any place in Turkey unless you have a work permit.

I visited and immigration officer told me that rent agreement should be on the name of the landlord. So I have to do it that way. It worked and they accepted my documents on Friday but I'm surprised I haven't received any SMS confirming my documents being successfully submitted. I heard from other people applied receiving the confirmation message within the same day but I haven't received it I am quite worry because I have to fly to my country in two weeks. Thus I'm thinking of visiting the immigration office tomorrow and inquire about it and especially ask for any document on behalf I go back to my country and return within 15 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you are right and they send another message when your application is send to Ankara.

Almost 10 day back immigration officer provided me the document on behalf of I can travel to my country but have to return within 15days. 

I haven't received any kind of SMS yet and my application status still showing the "document under assessment". I called on online helpline no aswell, they say the same that my application is under assessment after seeing it from system. Though after visiting the immigration office last week he told me that your application is in Ankara. Does it mean my application is approved and under printing stage from Ankara?

he told me that your application is in Ankara. Does it mean my application is approved and under printing stage from Ankara?

Not necessarily, it could still be pending approval.

Moreover immigration officer still has my original documents I submitted. Does it mean immigration officer send a photocopies or a scan?

You are supposed to provide notarized copies of documents, not the originals. What they send to Ankara, or whether it is a scan or hard copy, I don't know.