Laith Asam

Woud the 90 days rule still count if I have a Visa?

Rate this topic

I made an account just to ask a really important question. I am a swedish citizen in Turkey right now and I´ve been here for almost a month. According to the 90/180 days rule I can stay a maximum up to 90 days in any half year period. But if I get a visa the next time I come back to Turkey, would I then be exempt from this rule? 

Have a look at this article:

Turkey Visa 90 in 180 Days Rule

I can stay a maximum up to 90 days in any half year period.

The visa validity period is 180 days. You could buy as many visas as you want, back to back, indefinitely. And you could come and go as much as you like during those 180-day validity periods. But your total time in Turkey, at any time, for the previous 180 days, must not exceed 90 days.

The 180-day validity period, and the 180-day period in which you can stay in Turkey for a maximum of 90 days, even though they are the same number of days, are two different things.

The first 180-day period, that is, the visa validity period, is fixed by calendar dates. It will always start with on the day you bought the visa and always end on the day the visa expires.

The second 180-day period is a rolling range of days which must be counted backwards from whatever day "today" is. It will always start on whatever day it was 180 days ago, and will always end "today."

As long as you have a valid visa, and your time in Turkey in the past 180 day period has not exceeded 90 days, you can remain in Turkey.

See the article also for a link to a visa calculator in case you need it (at the bottom of the article). It is the simplest way of calculating total time in Turkey, validity dates, etc.

On 19/11/2018 at 13:06, Ken Grubb said:

The first 180-day period, that is, the visa validity period, is fixed by calendar dates. It will always start with on the day you bought the visa and always end on the day the visa expires.

The second 180-day period is a rolling range of days which must be counted backwards from whatever day "today" is. It will always start on whatever day it was 180 days ago, and will always end "today."

Not sure if I really understand. So if I have already spend the 90 days in Turkey in the past 6 months, can I get a visa and spend another 90 days for the next 6 months? Since according to you, the visa validity period starts on the day the visa is brought and ends on the day the visa expires. So it doesn´t matter what happened the days before the visa was brought, or ?

So it doesn´t matter what happened the days before the visa was brought, or ?

It does matter. Let's say you have a visa with a 180-day duration. In the last 90 days of that 180-day period, you were in Turkey. You could buy another visa, but you can't enter Turkey with it, until you get to a point where, in the previous 180 days, your total time in Turkey becomes less than 90 days. It does not "re-set" to zero just because you buy another visa.