snorfish

How to end communication

Rate this topic

Hi and happy to be a part of these forums!  I am a 61 yr old widow.  My husband passed away 7 years ago and I would really enjoy some male companionship.  I joined an online dating site and met several men....just messaging right now, nothing else....i am rather skeptical by nature.

Anyway, one of the men is a Turkish gentleman who has been in my state (about 100 miles away) for around a year now.  He has said that his mother passed away and he moved here from Turkey a year ago because his eldest sister is here.  He retired and bought a house.  His profile says he is divorced and 63 yrs old.

He is very polite and gentlemanly however......he seems to be wanting to move things along rather quickly and I don't.  I am a VERY independent woman.  I've had a long and prosperous career and I don't need to depend on anyone financially.  I also don't need to be showered with gifts and praise constantly and i most CERTAINLY do not want to be told what I can and can't do.  All I want is a partner to grow older with and spend our final years together laughing and having fun with no drama.  I do NOT do jealousy!!  I have a lot of male friends and they will continue to be my friends for the rest of my life as long as they choose to be.

After reading a LOT on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that pursuing a relationship with this gentleman would probably not be in either of our best interests.

We have not talked that much and I told him that I didn't give out my telephone number until I knew a person pretty well.  He gave me his and said I could call him or text him.  Well, silly me.....I texted him and now he has my phone number (what was I thinking?)  Anyway this all happened while we were talking online at the dating site.  Here is how it happened in short:....Me:  I don't give telephone number.  Him:  Well here is my phone number and you can call or text me.  Now....I put his phone and name into my contacts and shoot him a "test" text just to see if he would get it.  Keep in mind that this is all happening while we are talking online.  Well, as soon as I send the text ... maybe less than a minute after, my phone starts ringing with his name coming up (because I put him in my contacts.)  I asked him right then and there online "Did you just call me?"  He says and I quote "No, how would I do that?  I don't have your phone number.  I'm not a magician."  Well...he DID have my phone number because it showed up when I texted him and he did call me because it showed up on my caller ID (I didn't answer it.)  So, needless to say, I am now pretty unhappy about the whole situation.

My question for people on this forum is.  How do I break off communication with this man before it goes any further.  I do not want to anger or offend him in any way.  I just want to stop speaking.  I know some of you will say I have every right to confront him about lying, etc.  I do NOT want to do this.  I just want us to go our separate ways on friendly terms.  

Is this possible and if so can anyone suggest how I would go about it?  I am so new to the online dating thing and I am woefully ignorant on different cultures.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks so much!

There are as many ways to block a phone number from calling you as there are makes and models of phone. If you do a google search on "block someone from calling my ********* phone" you will find lots of answers. Insert the make and model of your phone and delete the asterisks.

Hope this is successful for you.

Cukurbagli, Thank you very much!  Unfortunately, I can't just block his number as I will be seeing him as I visit the site again and talk to other people.  I need to verbally just end it without being rude or offensive and I'm not sure how to do that.  It's just been SO long since I've been single.  I don't know what the world is like anymore!  

Thank you so much for responding!

Is this possible and if so can anyone suggest how I would go about it?  I am so new to the online dating thing and I am woefully ignorant on different cultures.

Ignore him, stop replying. Eventually he will stop trying to contact you. It works in every culture.