Sign in to follow this  
Welshtom

Short term residency application

Rate this topic

Hi all, would like to ask some advice. I am planning to stay in Turkey for an extra six months with a tourist short term residency. My 90 days run out on the 5th of December 2018, and I have booked an appointment on the 4th of December in Istanbul. 

I have applied for my residency permit to begin on the 29th of December , 2018.

I want to leave turkey for Christmas period and come back on the 29th of December to begin my residency permit .. does that sound possible first? I have read that they give you a temporary permit in the mean time.. and that will work for living in Turkey until official documents comes in the mail...  I am wondering how long the application process take from the interview usually, also do they keep your passport to process.. will I be able to leave the country and come back on the 29th to obtain my residency permit... it seems a little tricky so would love some advice. Thanks, Tom.

I want to leave turkey for Christmas period and come back on the 29th of December to begin my residency permit

You can leave Turkey for a period of up to 14 days and return, using your temporary residence permit. I have heard that you need to have receipts showing that you paid the fees, but I don't know if this is true or not since they now give you an actual temporary residence permit. Anyway take the receipts for the fees with you just in case.

I have read that they give you a temporary permit in the mean time.. and that will work for living in Turkey until official documents comes in the mail.

Yes, they give you a temporary residence permit, at the end of your appointment. You can use that until your actual residence permit card is delivered.

I am wondering how long the application process take from the interview usually

Check some of the latest topics... it used to take a very long time in Istanbul, but I see from one of the posts that it is being processed faster now. But the latest time frame I don't know.

also do they keep your passport to process.

No. They keep the notarized copy of your passport.

will I be able to leave the country and come back on the 29th to obtain my residency permit.

I would think so. That isn't much time. If the PTT (postal service) is unable to deliver it, they keep it at the local PTT for, I think a couple of weeks.

After it is successfully processed in Ankara, and they put it into the postal system, the PTT will send an SMS message to your mobile phone with the barcode for the package. So at that point, you will know it is on the way. If you can't get that SMS message in the country where you are going, you could leave your mobile phone with a friend and have them check your SMS messages for the message from PTT, and let you know it's in the mail.

Thank you Ken for the sound advice I will follow steps good and proper.. Sounds all well and good. One problem I see is that I want to leave from the 7th of December to the UK and arrive back in Turkey on the 29th of December.. I have applied for the residency permit to start on the 29th of December for when I return.. what is your thoughts would it work for me?

I can't answer that... since I cannot know when the DGMM will send your residence permit. You could give a friend power of attorney to pick it up at the PTT if it becomes necessary. You can get a power of attorney specifically for what you want another person to do for you at any local notary (noter). I don't know of anyone who has done this, but I think that would be the only other option.

I want to apply permit residence, I’m looking for the apartment for address contract to put in the documents. Thats what Im not finding now..  can you help me for that. Im still in the hotel. I have only 10 days left to fill the documents, my visa will expire in 3rd january. Thx

I have sent you a PM about this with a link regarding who to contact. They can help you with accommodation, and they also deal with urgent situations where the foreigner only has a short time on their visa.

You can also click on the advert at the top right of this topic (and forum). That will take you to an application form... it goes to the same company I recommended in my PM.

But you should contact them as soon as possible, to give them the time to get your application going. Once you have your online application completed, and accepted, you can stay in the country until you receive your residence permit.