Rate this topic

Hello friends, 

I have a work permit and my wife and I are considering buying a new car and registering it under my name in order to avoid the OTV and KDV tax. Does any one have updated information pertaining to this process/ the stipulations.

I suppose the savings would depend on the type of car. Where can I find tax bracket information?  Is it true I can never sell the car to anyone except another foreigner? I've heard after 5 yrs I'll get my deposit back and be able to sell to anyone. 

As always, thanks for any help. 

Thomas

In my opinion it is more trouble than it is worth. You have to leave a large sum as deposit in a no interest earning account for the duration. If you buy a Turkish car (and pay the taxes) it will retain a high value on resale. Bite the bullet and save all the stress. I cannot find the  road tax details off hand, i will post later if i can find it. The real jump comes if you go over 2000cc, and tax is cheaper on cars over 3 years old. there is also a threshold between 1800cc and 2000cc. In my opinion you will need 1800cc or more to carry your family and use air con in the summer.

Thank you for the information Ibrahim Abi. We are looking at the Hyundai i20 (as we have no children and won't need a lot of cargo space) or other similar models which come in around 1400 cc. I will continue to explore all options and luckily I know a Türk who is well-versed in cars and knows someone at a local dealership. I will update as the process unfolds. 

If you fancy something powerful but want to keep the tax bill down the Mazda RX8 beats the system. It's rotary engine comes in at low displacement (1.3L) but has around 220BHP.

And a 2001 Saab 9-5 2300 with 180 hp? I dont want to give it away as i have it a long time and it stll works failsafe. The few i found on sahibinden are quite expensive and only with manual transmission equipped. Im a 'lazy' driver and with an automatic you safe many litres of petrol.

On 20/07/2019 at 18:44, Alzaro said:

And a 2001 Saab 9-5 2300 with 180 hp? I dont want to give it away as i have it a long time and it stll works failsafe. The few i found on sahibinden are quite expensive and only with manual transmission equipped. Im a 'lazy' driver and with an automatic you safe many litres of petrol.

On 20/07/2019 at 18:44, Alzaro said:

On this 671 TL for the plates. 2001-2500ccm and over 16 years old. Touring isnt exact or actual. The Turkish government states that you can import any car of any age into the Turkey as long it was previously registered for at least six month in the residing country. Except the us. and Canada as the Turkey has no transfer agreement with them. And the latter two want to cooperate with the turkish government.

The vehicle taxation scheme changed at 01.01.2018 Vehicles built before appreciate the lower taxation then such built after 01.01.2018

Turkey uses since 2015 the 3+2 years scheme from new for mot on passenger cars up to 3500KG net weight and motor bikes. Commercial operated vehicles had to check-up on a yearly basis - like the eu and non eu countries as Norway and Switzerland. Ye lower the displacement and ye older the car the cheaper you drive. That is very fair!

I have never seen a Saab in Turkey. i think you will find it hard to source spare parts, and all imported parts will be subject to customs charges. I really do advise against this.

They warrant spare parts availability for 20 years and there are plenty of suppliers. Original and odm, back to the 9000 model.

I think what is rare in a country will not be that often stolen or parted out. How much is the vat for parts? 20%?