JenRed73

Tourist Visa 180-day/90-day rule: When can someone come back?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am posting this as a question regarding the helpful information in Ken Grubb's article from 2016 about the 180-day/90-day rule. I used to think that a new 180-day period could begin the day after the previous 180-day period ended. I did not realize this period could "move."

I thought someone (even a confused police officer) had told me that once you had used all your 90 days, you had to wait 90 days before you could re-enter Turkey with a new tourist visa. Is this true?

Suppose someone had used all 90 days and would like to come back to Turkey 2 months after the previous exit. In this case my friend used 84 days between May and early August, and used the rest of her days at the end of September. She'd like to come back in early December. So if I count back 180 days from the date she'd like to re-enter Turkey, this brings me to early June. Does this mean they would ignore the days she had stayed between May and that June date which the system designates as the start of the new 180-day period? Would it be that she could subtract from 90 the days she had stayed from this June date on...until the entry date in December--in order to know how many days she could stay for the holiday?

Or if she used all her days between May and September, would she have to wait until January to come back? (90 days after her last exit date)

Note: She is German and therefore does not have to actually buy the tourist visa sticker, but the time rules still apply to her and her passport gets stamped the same way.

Thanks

I thought someone (even a confused police officer) had told me that once you had used all your 90 days, you had to wait 90 days before you could re-enter Turkey with a new tourist visa. Is this true?

Not exactly... it's not that linear. You have a visa which has a 180-day validity period. You can come and go as you like for 180 days. But the number of days you are in Turkey cannot exceed 90 days during any 180-day period. You have to count back to determine how many days you have been in country for the last 180 days to tell you how many days you can remain or how many days before you can come back, and even then, for how long you can come back.

The best thing to do is just use the Schengen Visa calculator. This is for the European countries which have exactly the same rules... Turkey adapted them as part of preparations to become part of the European Union. So the rules and calculations are exactly the same.

Schengen Visa Calculator

Suppose someone had used all 90 days and would like to come back to Turkey 2 months after the previous exit. In this case my friend used 84 days between May and early August, and used the rest of her days at the end of September. She'd like to come back in early December. So if I count back 180 days from the date she'd like to re-enter Turkey, this brings me to early June. Does this mean they would ignore the days she had stayed between May and that June date which the system designates as the start of the new 180-day period? Would it be that she could subtract from 90 the days she had stayed from this June date on...until the entry date in December--in order to know how many days she could stay for the holiday?

Instead of going into complex mathematics with dates, numbers of days in months, what day is how many days previous, etc... you should just use the calculator. Doing it with a calendar makes my head hurt, and there is much more chance of a mistake. The calculator will tell you exactly how many days you can stay.

The visa stamps have all but been phased out. It is all now done by e-visa. You can apply for a visa here:

Turkey E-visa System

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, I am aware of the e-visa system.

I have tried using the Schengen calculator. You have to put in an exit date for the future visit and this should not be after the control date at the top. As an experiment, I put in a hypothetical entry date and an exit date the next day--to know how the calculator will count back the days near the time my friend tries to come back to Turkey. Using this method, the system shows that the beginning of the 180-day period is in early June. Therefore, I think she would be okay to come back in December because this does not consider her days before that. However, if I put in a different exit date, say early January (if she stays one month), then it recalculates the beginning of the 180-day period to July--so it doesn't consider the days she was here in June.

It also says a date for the beginning of the 90-day period, which is a bit confusing as it counts back only 90 days. However, I would assume that any days she had spent in Turkey before this 90-day date (yet after the beginning of the new 180-day period) should be subtracted from the 90-day total allowed.

What's confusing about the calculator is how far back you should go when entering dates of previous stay in Turkey. If I put her dates from May through early October, even if I add a later re-entry date 3 months after the last exit, it just says she has used all her days.

As an experiment, I entered the first entry date as June 1 with an exit on Aug 6 (67 days). The second stay: Sep 26-Oct 3 (8 days). The third stay (this is in the future): Dec 5-Jan 5 (32 days). I put in the control date as Jan 5, 2019. When I set it to planning mode, it says the start of her 180-day period is July 10, 2018, then says her stay can be authorized for up to 50 days. If I total the days from September, October, December and January, it comes to 40 days. This plus the 50 days equals the 90 days maximum stay. So it does not seem to count the days from June-August which I entered as the first visit. What is strange is that if the 180-day period began July 10, why isn't the calendar including the days from July and August?

However, I am not sure if this calculation is accurate if I have not included her days as far back as May.

I'm sorry if this is confusing!

Jen

It is indeed confusing... that is why I don't even bother to go into it so deep, it makes my head explode.

You just have to do this:

1. Determine the date she will arrive in Turkey.
  2. Count back 180 calendar days from that date.
  3. Determine how many total days she has been in Turkey during that previous 180-day period. Total them up.
  4. Subtract that number from 90.

That will give you the number of days she can be in Turkey beginning on the date of her arrival.

Thank you so much. Your simple summary confirms what I thought was the correct method for calculation upon re-entry--but was unsure of.

So it appears that she does not have to wait 90 days after her last exit to come back.

The catch is this: doesn't the 180-day period also move forward when you're leaving Turkey?

Suppose the above method tells us that she has 15 days she can stay upon her next return to Turkey--if she came in early December. Let's say this means she had been in Turkey 75 days during the previous 180 days upon re-entry. Let's say that the first 60 days of stay were consecutive and then she was out of the country at least 6 weeks before the next 15 days. This is where my hypothetical 75 used days come from.

Suppose she stays 30 days after re-entry in December, despite thinking she can only stay 15 days. This makes her exit date 30 days after her re-entry date, moving her 180-day period forward 30 days  to early July from the last time (early June), thereby subtracting the first 30 days she had stayed in June. From this new beginning date you would count the remaining 30 days of her summer stay (Jul-Aug), plus 15 in the fall (45) plus the 30 in the winter on the future visit: total is again 75.

In a nutshell: upon exit, do you just count back 180 days, using the same method as when you had entered?

It sounds inconsistent, but doesn't that mean that you can think you have a certain number of days to stay upon entry, then this number can change depending on your exit date?

Or do they always consider the entry stamp date first when deciding if someone has overstayed their allowable days?

Thanks,

Jen