Bibatulips

I feel like a lost fool

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, 

BURSA, TURKEY.

What do you do when you get ripped off time and time again, at the hotel, restaurant, taxis, and by greedy landlord that does not that want to give me a copy of my rent contract, and wants me to transfer all utilities under my name while he knows that i can't do that before applying for residence permit, I was aware of this fact, I needed my residence permit to have all utilities under my name,  I became aware of this fact when i was dealing with real estate agents and they wanted big sums of money to write the utilities under their name, I thought I was lucky (and secretly smart) to have noticed that trap and thought ok, I'll just rent furnished to avoid this issue, and guess how wrong i was, I can't get any kind of internet subscription unless I have a utility bill under my name and I feel like a fool, I'm in vicious cycle and do'nt know how to break it.

I HOPE YOU ALL DON'T FALL IN THE SAME CYCLE!

any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

BIBAtulips.

I really don't know why, every time I ask him he says ok, but never does. And now they don't answer ours calls either, the only thing that i can think of right now is that he wants to take our deposit and make us leave by ignoring us.

I'm having a hard time trusting anyone here, and that is why I can't find the courage to repeat the process of searching and renting from anyone.

Did the landlord ask for more than one month's deposit? Usually, if they plan to try to keep it, they ask for a big deposit. In the future when you rent, keep this in mind. According to Turkish law, you take the deposit and put it in a bank accout specifically for rental deposits. It cannot be withdrawn by either party for the duration of the contract. After the contract expiration date, there is still a period (I think 30 days) where the landlord has to show legal proof of entitlement (because of damages or whatever) to get the deposit. After that time, if they don't do that, you can withdraw it. This protects your deposit from unscrupulous landlords.

You are going to need that contract for your residence permit, if it is your first time applying for one. You will need to present a notarized copy of it during your interview. I don't know what to tell you regarding getting a copy, but even if you have to pay for the landlord's time or effort to produce it, you need a notarized copy.

You also need to take your rental contract to the Population and Citizenship Directorate (called the Nüfus) to make register yourself at your address. When you renew your residence permit, you will just need a document from them showing that you live at the address on your residence permit application.

And once you get a notarized copy, record the document number that the notary stamps on it. That way, you can go back and have the notary pull their copy from their records and you can use it again if you need it.

You're in the right place here... most of the other members, and I, have been through all of this before. We are happy to help if we can.

Have a look at this:

I've done a lot of renting in Turkey, and I use a combination of online ads and real estate agencies to find the best places. The real estate agents ask one month's rent for a commission. They are often the ones placing the adverts anyway. To me it is worth it, if it helps me find a place I will be happy living in. I certainly hope you have a better time of finding a place to live from now on.

Hi again, I have a concern about the rent contract that we have signed with this current landloard, we didn't noterize it and I never had a chance to put my hands on the duplicate, my concern is would he be able to take legal action against us because we left earlier?

You should consult a lawyer with legal questions, but I will try to answer. If you had a contract for a full year, it obligates you to pay for the full year. Technically, the landlord could take legal action to enforce the contract for a full year. But I was talking to a lawyer about this same subject, and he said that what usually happens is the court would order the tenant to pay a reasonable amount of rent extra, to cover the vacancy until the landlord can find another renter.

Hi everyone, I managed to get my contract, and noterized it, after a big ordeal, just as we were planing to move out they decided to comply. It's all a little vague to me, but right now all I care about is to get my documents straight and if funny things happen after we'll deal with it then.

Do i need the landlord to register for nufus? Or can we do it on our own?

Thank you in advance.

right now all I care about is to get my documents straight and if funny things happen after we'll deal with it then.

Bibatulips, you are already getting the attitude necessary to live here. I also find that it helps a lot if I focus on one thing at a time.

Do i need the landlord to register for nufus? Or can we do it on our own?

You don't need the landlord. Just your contract and passport/residence permit.

It is my pleasure. We're always here if you need help with anything else, or if you would like to share something you've learned with others... that's what it's all about. :)