Sun

Some questions about documents needed

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I hope everything is going well with all of you.

My wife and I are applying the short term residence permit for the first time application soon and have some questions.

I was informed we needed applying separately even the appointment for interview. Is that right?

Do we need to prepare all the documents two separate sets? I understand the most of documents needed separately such as application form, passport, photo, heath insurance and etc., but how about the rental contract, marriage certificate, or bank information. I am confused.

And one more thing, according to the old post named “residence permit procedure( Antalya 2015)”, we also need to show them our birth certificates. Is that really need it? Isn’t that enough with only marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Sun, welcome to the Forum. You do need to make two separate applications. For rental contract etc you will a copy for each of you. They may agree to see you both at the same time, it depends how must they are and which part of Turkey you are in. We did not have to provide birth certificates. If your health insurance is with the SGK your wife will be covered as a dependent (if under 65). If you have separate bank accounts then you must prove sufficient funds in each or that you have a joint bank account in both names. Your marriage certificate should translated and be notarised if not Turkish. Good luck

Thank you IbrahimAbi. We are thinking to Antalya, and we have to choose not them when we make an appointment online. Isn't it correct? And We are thinking to open a joint account. That's not a problem. But you are saying we have to have our rental contract with both our names as renters. Do I understand right?

No, if you have a marriage certificate, then your wife has the right to live with you even if the rental contract is only in your name. You will get a letter from the nufus office (Ilçe Nüfus Müdürlüğü) to state that you are both registered at the same address (yerleşim yeri ve diğer adres belgesi), one in each name and in each folder a copy of the rental contract. Take the original too. the letter from the Nufus office is free of charge and should take about 10 minutes.

You can do that, or you can just take one of the regular photos and scan it, and upload that. The photo you upload must be the same as the ones you submit with your package.

Ok, I see. So I submit the application/appointment request and pick a date and when it's time for the appointment I need to take all documents requested with me. Please coccrect me if I'm wrong. I guess I need to purchase insurance before apply for appointment too right?

Does anyone know how long this process takes, I mean from submitting the request to attending the appointment? 

Thank you for your support again Ken!

Yes, that is correct.

You need to get health insurance before you apply online, because the system will ask you for the policy number and dates of validity. You can buy fill out an online form and apply for health insurance here:

Residence Permit Health Insurance

Or you can walk into a nearby insurance office and buy a policy.

As far as time goes, it always varies. When I did it in March this year my appointment was around two weeks after I submitted the online application.

Thank you Ken.

I see, does it matter that the insurance is from Ankara, even though I'm in bursa? Also what do you recommend 1 or 2 year insurance, I heared that the maximum years you get as first time applicant is always 1 year, is that correct?

Do I need to purchase insurance for my kids aswell? Do the kids need to file kimlik application each too?

I'm sorry, I sound like a broken record here, I'm just a little confused. I am very thankful  for your support.

It doesn't matter where the health insurance is from, as long as it's an insurance company with a physical presence in Turkey. You can also get it from an insurance agency in Bursa if you want, by walking into an insurance company office and asking for a policy. Make sure you specify that it is for a residence permit and that they have a policy for that. There are special policies for foreigners getting residence permits, which meet all of the minimum requirements.

There are two-year residence permits, but lately I hear, especially in Istanbul, that they are giving a maximum of one year. You might call the 157 helpline and ask (they have English available).

If you get two years of insurance and end up only staying one year, you should be able to get a refund for the second policy, otherwise just use it for your next application. You get two separate policies, one with a start date the day after the other expires. One policy covers you for the first year, the second policy covers you for the second year.

Both you and your children will need to get health insurance which meet the minimum requirements, as well as residence permits. I understand they have family policies which will cover your children. Just let the insurance agent know that you need to insure yourself and your family.

Have a look here for more detailed information about health insurance:

Health Insurance for Residence Permits

Don't worry... we were all confused when we first arrived. I remember what it was like... the more information I had, the better I felt. so feel free to ask any questions you have. There are a lot of members who can help besides me. Helping others is the reason this community exists. :)

Thank you Ken!

Ok now I understand, one little detail I just noticed at the very bottem of the website there section called documents required, I was so happy to find that, but that didn't last for very long, it was even more confusing, for example they ask for sealed insurance document, I assume they want a signed hard copy and not a print out or a card of some sort, right? So when I buy insurance online would that work too?

Thank you in advance.

What I do is ask for an additional copy of the policy in English. If they don't have that, get an additional copy in Turkish. You'll give one of the policy copies to the DGMM with your application, and keep the other copy for your files. Both copies of the policy will have the required stamps and signatures. The DGMM will accept the copy you give them as it is. You don't have to do anything else with it.

It is the same thing online. What they do is get your personal details (like on the online form I linked to). Then payment is made, typically with a money transfer for the policy amount from your bank to their account. Then they mail the policy to you. If you decide to walk into an insurance company office, they do the same thing--that is-- they collect your personal details, print out the policy (and a second one if you ask for it). They stamp and sign it, and you pay for it right there. It takes maybe 30-40 minutes.

That probably sounds suspiciously easy, but it really is easy. :)