Jenna

Is it a scam or not ?

Hi, my name is Jenna. I need your help to tell me if its a scam or not base on my story. 

I knew this guy last month from Instagram. 

He sent me a message on Instagram and I replied. We started to chat and I found that this guy was funny and charming. So I decided to give my whatsapp number to him as he said he was inactive in Instagram. 

Anyway he talked so sweet and romantic. And we never even met each other. Not even a phone calls. Our communications only thru WhatsApp. 

We chatted almost every other day. 

By the way I am an workaholic. So he asked me why I worked so hard. So I told him that I had a dream to buy a car. He then offered me to buy me a car as long as the price was less than USD 500,000. I rejected the offer as I barely knew him. 

Anyway according to him, he is Polish, working as a independent Contractor. And now he is still in the Rig working for British Petroleum. He lives in Kentucky, Louisville .  He won the contract and for 3 months he would be in the rig. British Petroleum pays him 15 million USD. Which BP ( British Petroleum) already paid 7.5million USD to his foreign account in Turkey. 

He then asked me if he could transfer USD 1 million to me as he wanted to avoid Paying high taxes . Because he talked to me so sweet and kept saying he loved me , so I agreed.

He said he would contact the bank officer in Turkey to contact me for the money transfer. He then asked for my email which I gave to him. 

About 2 days later the bank officer contacted me thru email and asked for my particulars such as full name , phone number, and photography of the passport, and address.  

I felt so awkward and asked the bank why they needed such information. 

I still didn't realize that actually they opened a foreign account under my name in the Ziraat Bank , Turkey. 

My foreign account has been created . And the bank gave me the link of the website , password, for me to click to do the transfer. 

When I wanted to transfer the money to my personal account, the message on the screen prompted me to fill in the transfer code. 

So I emailed the bank to ask what was the transfer code all about. 

The bank then replied me : in order to get the transfer code, I need to personally be in Turkey and get the code and I need to pay USD 11,760. And the bank said, since you are not in turkey, the bank would find someone To help me to get the code but I have to transfer that amount to the appointed person. 

Well, I went to the local bank in singapore and they banned money transfer to Turkey as a lot of people got scammed and cheated. 

So then I emailed the bank saying that I couldn't transfer the money and the bank referred me again to another person who lived in indonesia. 

I then realized may be this is a scam. 

Anyway, I am feeling in secure now as the Polish Guy keeps pestering me by calling my phone on and on and whatsapp me saying that I steal his money. He is gonna report me to police and FBI and he is gonna make me lose my job. And he also said I am too pretty to go to jail. He said if I wanted to play this game by freezing his money of 1,500,000 USD , he would also play the game. 

I told this Polish Guy to get his friend or someone to transfer the money to get the code so I can do the remit to him as soon as possible as I don't have any intentions to take his money not even a single cents . But he said: he could not do anything as now he was still in the rig. No connection, cant open internet. 

But i received a call from US number , once from OHIO and once Fromm burbank. 

He claimed that he was in the rig somewhere near Liverpool, UK

I am so worried about this. As I never do any criminal in my life. 

Guys please help me, probably you guys have a same issue here. Please give me some suggestions how to end this . 

Thank you so much for your time to read my story. 

It is definitely a scam, and a rather common one. You can't open a bank account in Turkey unless you are physically here. It is a fake account. The URL is probably to a spoof website made to look like a Turkish bank website. You may even be able to go to the website and log in, and see what looks like "money" in your account. But it is not a bank website, it is a website on a server controlled by the criminals you are dealing with.

It is called a "419" scam after the number of the fraud law in Nigeria, where the scam started. Typically it involves a large transfer of money, but at the last minute, you have to pay a fee to get the money.  Of course, you will lose the money you pay for the fee and never get the money transferred.

The person you are dealing with is a professional criminal. Now he will do anything he can to pressure you to give him money (he has nothing to lose now). Don't listen to any of it. Report it to the police.

The telephone numbers can also be faked. It is probably a Skype landline number, which anybody with a Skype account can buy. For example, I could buy a Skype number anywhere in the USA and, using my computer, call you. And it will appear that I am calling you from the USA, when actually I am in Turkey.

DO NOT TRANSFER ANY MONEY. Report it to the police, change your telephone number, whatever you need to do.

If he calls again, just close your phone. Don't listen to the manipulation or have any further conversations with him. He will go and find another victim eventually.

Hi Ken , thank you so much for replying my post.  I just went to log in to the link that the " so called " the bank provided me . I still can see the amount of 1,500,000 USD.  And when I changed the login password, it showed error 440, but the password managed to get changed. 

And also I went to see this Polish guy Instagram. His name on Instagram is: Kacper Wolna. He looks very decent man. And that's why I fell into his trap. 

I have made a police report in my country. 

However, do u think I should make a report again in the USA police office ? Because I am going to USA  for business trip. 

I still don't feel safe as he has my pictures and passport details . 

So meaning that Kacper Wolna and the fake bank officer they are a scammer? Or may be this is done by just one person ? 

Thanks

The reason they ask for your passport details is to make sure you're serious.

First they contact as many people as possible to see who takes the bait. They they develop them until they can get the victim to send their passport details. Once they have that, they know they have a good victim, and then other people start getting involved. They don't actually use your passport information for anything.

Regarding your photos, I don't think you need to worry about it. He is probably not in the USA, he is just using a USA telephone number.

If you have gotten an e-mail from him, I may be able to tell you where the e-mail originated from. The IP address is often in the code of the e-mail. If it is a Gmail account the IP address is not in the code.

Did he send you an e-mail? If so, what kind of e-mail was it? Gmail?

Here is information about where you can report the scam both in the USA and internationally:

Reporting International Scams

So meaning that Kacper Wolna and the fake bank officer they are a scammer? Or may be this is done by just one person ? 

Yes they are both scammers. Typically they work in teams. There may be a whole internet cafe in Nigeria full of them.  They probably have many lower-level people trying to attract victims, and draw them in. They often send out thousands of spam e-mails but now they are getting more into social media. The lower-level people are called mugus.

As I said, once they have a victim, and if they can get the victim to send personal information, like a scan of a passport, everything moves up a level. A higher level person, called a maga, then gets involved, and they set up a fake bank account, or send you fake documents, or start calling you. More people get involved. There is an organization involved.

It is a good thing you haven't sent any money. Some people have lost their entire life savings to this kind of scam. Or they have traveled somewhere trusting the person they were communicating with, only to be badly beaten and robbed after being picked up at the airport.

I think once they figure out that you are wise to them and that you are not going to send them any money, they will just move on to the next victim and forget about you.

Hi Ken, 

He never sent me an emails. When I found suspicious about the website, kacper asked me to send him an email to let him know what the bank wrote to me. Therefore he gave me his email. 

His email address is : kacper_wolna@engineer.com

and the person's email address who sent me an email from turkey is : info@ziraatbankas.com

Once I file the scam to the link that you provided, do I still need to report this case to the police in USA ?

thanks 

You can see if you go to www.ziraatbankas.com there is no website there. It is not Ziraat Bankası. If you go to Google and search for ziraat bankası, you can see the real website is at www.ziraatbank.com.tr.

Regarding reporting it to the police in the USA, it certainly couldn't hurt. They may just tell you to ignore it, since each state, county, and city has a different police department and they usually don't investigate internet fraud cases like this. But they may also have a system where they can forward your complaint to an organization that investigates such internet fraud. It has become so common that I would think the police departments in the USA at least have some procedure to forward the complaint to the right place.

I have a friend who works at the real Ziraat Bank here where I live. I will visit her next week and let her know that their bank name is being used for fraud. They may be able to get the fake site taken down. It is just a matter of them contacting the company which is hosting the site, or the government agency which controls the hosts. So at least some good will come from this. :)

Well , thank u so much Ken. I will forward the name of the person in Turkey that the bank appointed to me to send the transfer code fee to. 

Below is the first email that the bank sent to me:

On 16 Jul 2018, at 14:18, info@ziraatbankas.com wrote:

Acıbadem Mah. Acıbadem Cd.
No: 53 A / 1 34718 - Kadıköy - İstanbul
Telefon: +905399260615

Attn, 

Your payment information was received to this office early this morning, from Mr. Kacper Wolna of Poand in Europe for transfer, but due to the high policy on international transfer this day's in transferring such huge amount of funds we now advise him to move your funds through our online banking system which has been the best and easy way of transferring such funds, and we hereby request for your full information's to enable us proceed with a new online account with your name and information, so you can use the online and transfer your funds by yourself in your local account in Singapore.

1) Your full name: ..........
2) Your Address: ..........
3) Your Telephone contact, .........
4) A Copy of your photography passport,.....

Upon the confirmation's of above required information's, we can proceed with your new online account process without any further delay.

We wait for your urgent response to this office.

Mr. Amaad Haraz
Director Online Transfer Department
+905399260615

And this is the email that the bank asked me to transfer the money to the appointed person in Turkey since I'm not there. 

Acıbadem Mah. Acıbadem Cd.
No: 53 A / 1 34718 - Kadıköy - İstanbul
Telefon: +905399260615

I hereby reconfirm the account once again, in order not to make mistake to avoid more delay.

BABK NAME :ZIRAAT BANK

ACCOUNT HOLDER:HONEST MARTIN
ACCOUNT HOLDER: ADRESS: CARKUR MH TIRSE SOKAK NO 10d3 BEYOGLU ISTANBUL TURKEY

ACCOUNT NUMBER:857649045002

ACCOUNT IBAN NUMBER:TR440001000851857649045002

SWIFT CODE:TCZBTR2A

BANK ADDRESS... 851_CEVIZIL /ISTANBUL SUBESI

Once you send out the fee for the code, you are required to forward the payment slip immediately to enable us follow up with your transfer code.

And NO, there's nothing more to pay after this, all you need is the code, and that is all.

Awaiting your urgent attention.

Mr. Amaad Haraz
Director Online Transfer Department
+905399260615

Thanks Jenna. I think Ziraat Bank will be happy to get this information and will open an investigation. I will go over there this week and talk with them.