Rate this topic

Hello, everyone!!!! I'm new here and I am super excited for answers to a burning topic. I am a 20 year old female from Jamaica, who is thinking about living in Turkey with my mother in tow. I really want to know where would be the most safest for two women.

I want to: 1. Purchase a villa on a cost of about 100,000 to 250,000 USD

.                2. Somewhere quiet. A place where an introvert can flourish

3. A town with a stable internet service(even if I have to purchase an internet package) as I work online.

4. Where they have activities like yoga and Tai chi. (I do not mind travelling for it).

5. Where can I get a respected, secured  Uber service to transport me.

I heard that the best thing to do would be to rent an apartment first. Should I follow this advice?

√ lastly, is $5000 USD a month salary enough to live a comfortable life as the locals do, and will I be granted a permanent residency with that amount?

Hi Liz, welcome to the Forum. First of all the salary that you mention is fine, you can get along well on about $7-800 dollars per month (US). To have the activities you want you probably need to be in a City, (also most reliable internet in cities), but they are not quiet. there are question that need to be considered, like are you intending to learn Turkish? You can really only attend classes in a large town, and smaller towns will only have a handful of people who speak English. Personally I think Uber is on its way out of turkey, the president has declared it , so it still operates in only a few cities .

Certainly rent for a while before buying. Buying is fraught with danger and you may not like the area that you first choose.

Thank you so much for the answer, plus the warm welcome. I was fascinated by the inexpensiveness of the country. I thought about it, and the city (sigh) would be the hub for stuff like tai chi.

I have been learning Turkish for a while, but would definitely need classes as I get nervous saying the words outside my head.

Do you have any leads on finding great apartments?

I would look at this site. https://www.sahibinden.com/en/for-rent-flat

But you need to filter by city of the left. personally I would look at Izmir or Antalya. I lived in Izmir for 4 years and Istanbul for 3. Izmir has everything but you can get out of the city easily, I once spent 5 hours travelling 3km trying to leave Istanbul on  Bayram

I love Izmir! Well, based on the recommendations given before. I was thinking there, but was indecisive, even though I find Antalya to be a bit....well, can't find the best summarizing words, but I owe you a big thank you for the help. 

I lived in Izmir for around seven years, and have now lived in Antalya for five years. I am still here. I like Izmir, but since living in Antalya I have come to prefer Antalya. I had been searching for a long time for the ideal place to live, and found there really isn't any. It's all a matter of positive and negative points for each place, and which has the most positive points as opposed to the negative ones, and the evaluation is always very subjective. I know what you mean by not being able to find the words... in some sense there is a "feeling" to a place which can't be described.

1. Purchase a villa on a cost of about 100,000 to 250,000 USD

That would be easy. You'll see the prices on Sahibinden.com as Ibrahim recommended.

2. Somewhere quiet. A place where an introvert can flourish

I think somewhere in Lara would be best for that. If you really want to live in a beautiful, quiet place, try Çıralı or Adrasan. They are very idyllic, with beautiful sea views, but quite dead in the winter. They are outside of Antalya city, but I am sure an introvert would flourish in either place.

3. A town with a stable internet service(even if I have to purchase an internet package) as I work online.

You can get that pretty much anywhere.

4. Where they have activities like yoga and Tai chi. (I do not mind travelling for it).

You'd need to be in town for that. There are quite a few gyms, and hotels like the Ramada have such programs. Yoga and Pilates I have seen, but not not tai chi, there might be places which have it, you could use Google to find them.

5. Where can I get a respected, secured  Uber service to transport me.

No Uber that I know of, but taxis are cheap, and buses are much cheaper. The buses go practically everywhere.

I heard that the best thing to do would be to rent an apartment first. Should I follow this advice?

Absolutely, positively, follow that advice. I still rent here and I have been here for like 15 years. I am renting a three bedroom apartment for less than $200 USD right now. I own property in the US and have a property management company looking after it. They send me the rent, and I rent here, and have money left over. So consider that as an option, don't feel pressured to buy unless you want to.

lastly, is $5000 USD a month salary enough to live a comfortable life as the locals do, and will I be granted a permanent residency with that amount?

You can live very, very well with that kind of income. For residency, it is way more than enough. The US dollar is very strong against the Turkish Lira right now.

Oooooo!!!! I'm skipping from left foot to right foot. This is a concise and detailed answer. I like this very much, because when answers aren't detailed I worry about the stuff missing. Anyways, I decided to rent indeed, because I am so young and going to school. Rent is better, though I initially wanted somewhere to store my mighty book collection. If I leave them at my family's home in Jamaica, my father is going to kill them. I'll cry all the way from Turkey.

I see so many pretty places in Turkey, that I am salivating. I'd love to live everywhere. Muğla, Fethiye, Alanya..... I'm too greedy. But besides that this guy advised a woman on another forum that she should live in a gated community (Izmir) because she's renting as a single woman. I'm pretty schizophrenic about safety, soo..but $200 for rent?! In my country, that's hardly able to purchase a week's worth of grocery. I hope stuff don't inflate by next year. I get all these economists insisting that Turkey will be a Dubai or whatever. 

This is a long message, but I like talking. I have so many fears and no one to talk to :-poor me. 

PS: I choose Izmir because they said it's very liberal and people do not care how you dress. Oh yes! I'll spend weekends in those beautiful places for introverts. I have never experienced winter in all my life. 

Thank you! I find you very very informative. Yaaaaaaayyy!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel, having moved a lot in my lifetime. Any information about the place you are going is always welcome.

I don't see any problem storing books in a rental property, what would the difference be?

The US dollar is VERY strong here right now. Just a few years ago a dollar was worth 2 TL. Even then you could have a luxurious life on $5,000 a month. Now a dollar is worth 5 TL. So as you can see, you would be living like a queen here.

But besides that this guy advised a woman on another forum that she should live in a gated community (Izmir) because she's renting as a single woman. I'm pretty schizophrenic about safety, soo..but $200 for rent?!

I think that's good advice. Besides, with what you could rent, a good choice would be something in what is called a "site" (pronounced in Turkish "see-teh"). These are apartment communities, typically gated, with a pool and other community facilities.

While violent crime is rather rare, burglaries do happen. So in an abundance of caution, a "site" gated community would be a good option for you.

I choose Izmir because they said it's very liberal and people do not care how you dress. Oh yes! I'll spend weekends in those beautiful places for introverts. I have never experienced winter in all my life. 

Izmir is a good choice. On weekends you can go out onto the Çeşme peninsula, there are a lot of coastal towns there, many of them quite quiet. Or go to Alaçatı or Çeşme itself. There is also a place called Foça which is very charming and quiet, with great seafood. You can take Izmir's light rail train to get there from the city center. There is also a national park, called Spil Mountain National Park, and in town there is a city park called Kulturpark. The night life in Izmir is also excellent. As are the restaurants. I am sure you will like Izmir.

It doesn't snow in Izmir, but it does on Spil Mountain, so you can go play in the snow there in the winter. :cold: You can even learn to ski at the ski center there.

Feel free to ask anything you like. This is an excellent topic, and I am sure a lot of people will read it and learn from it, so don't be shy! :)

Thanks for the info! I found it very valuable especially on Çeşme and the park. Oh, yes the restaurants. I can hardly cook so the inexpensiveness of the restaurants are a plus. They have some nice communities there(Çeşme). I made a nice list of where to go and stuff like that! Yay! Anyways. I wanted to ask a really important question on the topic of PR. 

I wanted to be a nomad originally, but I decided I wanted somewhere to call home occasionally. Can I still travel to several countries, while on a PR, or am I going to be stuck in Turkey?

You can travel as you like on a residence permit, but there used to be a rule about it being cancelled if you were out for longer than 6 months in one continuous period.

That rule has changed. Now you can come and go and be out of the country for as long as you like, the residence permit simply expires on its regular expiration date.

I was recently reminded of a place on the Çeşme peninsula which might interest you, called Seferihisar. It is apparently a very charming seaside town, closer to Izmir than Çeşme, but it has the designation of a "slow city." Slow cities are those which intentionally try to keep a laid back, natural, and slow-paced lifestyle. It might be the perfect place for you if you want to be kind of a recluse.  Also it is a lot closer to Izmir than Çeşme, so it might be easier and faster to get in to town to do some shopping when necessary.

And of course you can check out the other towns on the peninsula. Even though Çeşme town center is crowded in the summers, it also has some outlying places which can be pretty quiet and peaceful.

Brilliant! Seferihisar sounds like a place that I would love. I was won over by laid back, natural and faster into town. Thank you so so very much for your input! I'm going to research on whether it has a site or not. I would fly over the moon if it does. Thanks for the PR info as well.

Hullo! Thanks for the link to the Seferihisar municipality. I love the place. It's tomb quiet, which is the best! ......but my mom's not keen about being so close to the sea, so it was abort mission...only for weekends. 

Well, I was kinda wondering if anyone knows about the reputation of Folk Art Life/ Bornova Izmir gated community. 

? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Liz Clarke said:

Hullo! Thanks for the link to the Seferihisar municipality. I love the place. It's tomb quiet, which is the best! ......but my mom's not keen about being so close to the sea, so it was abort mission...only for weekends. 

Well, I was kinda wondering if anyone knows about the reputation of Folk Art Life/ Bornova Izmir gated community. 

? Thanks.

Beautiful property.

I was stationed in Izmir for 2 years...I rented.

I got of of the military 2 years ago & my wife (who is Turkish) and I decided to buy a place.  We live in Izmir.

We bought a 2 level top-floor apartment (commonly referred to as "Dublex") and we love it.  Security is not an issue if you are careful/cautious (as you should be in any country).

There are plenty of villa options in Bornova, as well as Guzelbahce.  Karsiyaka on the opposite side of the harbor is a wonderful choice as well.

As Ken mentioned, it's a renters/buyers market currently.  $1 gets you 5.26 as of this morning...and it seems to be going up every few hours.

Good luck & keep us updated :)

Yes! I read your wife's post here and it was maybe 2 years ago. Wonderful! I like a sense of security as I'm on the paranoid side and still can't understand why I can't dress like a knight of olden age with swords and stuff and a really tall horse. I'm all alone :-( I'll lose my sanity if I do not get a sense of protection (they did warn about burglary), hence a gated community. I love the current prices of the TL- USD and stuff. Thank you! I'll keep everyone posted, as well as periodically asking all manner of questions, silly or nay. Haha.