John Sati

Nufus & Visa Extension Question.

Rate this topic

I never saw any information about reporting my address to the Nufus Ve Vatandaslik Isleri Genel Mudurlugu after I got my first Ikamet, as reported in the FAQ on this website. So I never did this before 20 business days. So i'm wondering if something has happened to my Residence Permit? Is there a problem? I never got any mail or email so it's probably fine? 

Yes. You must go to the Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık İşleri Genel Müdürlüğü, (Population and Citizenship Directorate, or "nüfus") which is responsible for the area where you live, and report your address. You must do this within 20 business days after you receive your residence permit card, after you enter Turkey.

Give your passport, your rental contract (or tapu [property title deed] if you own the property), to the nüfus clerk. After they enter your new address into their address reporting system, they will give you a a Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi (Place of Residence and Other Addresses Document).

When the time comes to extend your residence permit, the DGMM will accept the Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi as proof of address.

Second Question:

Im currently on summer Holiday away from my rental property and will be for the next 2 -3 months. My short term residence permit expires in 40 days, so i do not want to go to the local Nufus to get a place of residence document (it's a long way away) - can i mail a one year rental contract instead like I did when I first got the short term residence? I do not want to go to the Nufus to get a Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi in the next two months. It's 2 days of travel and costs to do that unfortunately.

Under the Ikamet required documents it does not mention anything about the Yerlesim Yeri ve Diger Adres Belgesi and only mentions this:

If you are staying in a rental house with a rental agreement, attach a notary public approved copy of your rental agreement to the application documents.

Also it suggests 4 photos, but on the turkeycentral guide it says 2. Also it says notarazed photocopy of passport, but on turkey central it doesnt say anything about notarizing passport photocopy.

Yes I was the same. It must have been 2 years before somebody told me to go the Nufus Mudurlugu to register my address. It seems crazy now but at the time I just hadn't come across this requirement. I was expecting a big fuss and a fine but actually nothing happened. Second time they said I must bring a utility contract as well, so I took that, then they said I had to bring a bill. On our 3rd place I thought I'd better wait for the 1st utility bill (which can mean you reach the 20 business days because the bills only come once a month and it was the summer so all the gas connectors were on holiday so we had to wait a week to get connected). The mudur didn't even ask me for it this time.

It wouldn't take a lot for the authorities to put in a slip of paper with your new ikamet saying "if this your first property in Turkey please take your ikamet and rental contract to the Nufus Mudurlugu".

I am sure there will be nothing wrong with your Ikamet. If you are out of country when your ikamet expires you will be applying as a 1st timer when you come back. So I would just get a new rental contract. As a 1st timer they won't ask for Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi. When you get your Ikamet just go to the Nufus Mudurlugu then. I guess they won't know you were living there before if you have a recent contract.

Officially it's 4 photos but I have been to interviews where they have handed 2 back to me so who knows.

Regarding the notarising of the passport - if I remember rightly the printed application form says one thing in English and another in Turkish. One says it must be translated and notarised and the other just says a copy is needed. I've done it both ways and never had a problem.

9 hours ago, GrahamN said:

I am sure there will be nothing wrong with your Ikamet. If you are out of country when your ikamet expires you will be applying as a 1st timer when you come back. So I would just get a new rental contract. As a 1st timer they won't ask for Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi. When you get your Ikamet just go to the Nufus Mudurlugu then. I guess they won't know you were living there before if you have a recent contract.

Cheers for the response. Like most peoples applications, there are a lot of complex personal circumstances that effect my renewal. I'm not out of the country actually, but im in Mersin with friend, far from Izmir for the next 2-3 months, hence why i thought all this time that i will mail my new rental contract in as part of the application, that my landlord will give me. Instead now i'm reading that i need the "Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi" which i unfortunately can't get unless i travel pretty far. I was under the assumption that Izmir does not do renewal interviews and i wouldn't need to go back for awhile. 

edit: I will add something though if you won't mind offering some advice for my confusion.

I basically have two options because my short term residence expires august 23, but I have a wedding to go back to Australia to in Oct 27 and will stay for 2-3 months.

A. Try and get this renewal done with the above complications, then leave Turkey on October 20 to return in January with August 23, 2019 expiration of new renewed short term residence. Drawback is having to renew 7 months after returning to Turkey

B. Leave Turkey August 23 and return to Turkey on a 90 day visa in January (100 USD) and apply short term residence after 90 days which will be valid until April 1 2020. Drawback is leaving partner (and pet) for 4-5 months, but easier than going through this bloody renewal stuff for a long time.

Hi. I don't why I assumed you were in the States. Anyway, in Istanbul at least, they don't normally ask for a Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi. A few years ago you could use one of these OR a copy of the rental contract but now they just ask for the rental contract notarised and copied. Again, at least for Istanbul this document is not on the list of required documents at the end of the application form you print off. With the extra stuff needed these days they may choose to ask you for it after posting in your forms.

Either of the two options should work for you. BTW I didn't realize 90 day in 180 Visas were $100 for you guys. They are only $20 for UK citizens.

One thing I forgot to mention with the Yerleşim Yeri ve Diğer Adres Belgesi is that it only valid for a month I think - in Istanbul anyway - there's a small printed line at the top saying "valid until this date". So there is no point in getting one when you first register at the property if you won't need say for another 6 months, it'll be out of date.