SneeSnee

Lycian trail can anyone help me?

Rate this topic

Hey guys, 

i am planning a spontaneous trip to Fethiye and would like to hike two small parts of the Lycian trail as well. 

maybe here is someone from Fethiye or anyone who had done this trail and could help me a bit.

my tour ideas are: from Fethiye to Kayaköy, continue to Ölüdeniz.

second tour is just from Letoon to Xanthos.

as you see, I don't want to walk a lots of km, I just want to combine my trip to Fethiye a bit with the nature. Well, my questions are:

are those two routes dangerous for a female solo traveler? Actually I am not scared of snakes, I am scared about the shepherd dogs and wild dogs (we have them here in the woods around Alanya and I got attacked once). Is it really enough to throw a stone in their direction? Or aren't they even on those parts of the trail? 

Would be nice if anyone can give me some information about that.

nice greetings from Alanya

Hi SneeSnee, welcome to Turkey Central. The areas that you are interested in are well populated and the dogs are liable to be friendly . Most goatherders with big dogs will be up in the higher areas (yayla or high pastures) at this time of years, it's cooler and there is more for the goats to eat. I would advise you to carry a mobile phone and have someone local that you can call in an emergency but I think you will probably find that everyone you meet is friendly.

Although at the moment we are not having particularly hot weather it is likely to become a lot warmer soon, daytime temperatures could be reaching 45C so make sure you carry plenty of water and wear a hat.

Hope you have a great time and interesting walks.

Hello Cukurbagli,

thank you for your reply and your advices. It helped me a lot and made me calm about the Kangals.

Good to know you also didn't reach the high temperature yet. Same like here in the south. But in any case I want to start the walk really early in the morning to avoid the heat and having a short beach day in Ölüdeniz. 

btw do you have any idea how crowded the busses are at the moment from Bati Antalya? I can't make any online reservation for the sahilden route. is there even a Dolmus between Kas and Fethiye? for worse case. 

Thank you again and have a nice day 

There are plenty of buses between Kaş and Fethiye, when I used to travel to Antalya from Kaş there was one departing every hour. I expect it is the same for Fethiye considering it is so close. As far as how crowded the buses will be, no way to tell. But you can, if you want, buy two tickets and get two seats next to each other for the extra space. The only bummer would be if you do that and there aren't many people on the bus! :) As I recall when I would go from Kaş to Antalya, the bus was never full.

Thank you Ken! It was helpful. 

If they run every hour, no need to be in a rush to/on Antalya Otogar. And also for my back way from Patara.

Cool, it made me feel more comfortable. as long as the bus takes me with all is fine. I was just worried about if the Minibus is booked out they don't take anyone. But if it works actually like a normal Dolmus... perfect. Well, somehow I will reach Kas, somehow I will reach Fethiye and somehow I will come back from Patara to Antalya. 

Thank you guys again for your help and good advices. 

I don't think I have ever seen a fully-booked minibus. I've lived and traveled here for over 15 years, often by bus. If I need a bus to a nearby town or city, I just go to the bus station, buy a ticket, and wait. Within an hour max one will be departing for where I'm going. Sometimes one is departing at that moment and I have to run to catch it! With the destinations you mentioned you should have no problem. They are all close together and will have regular commutes between them.

It's not like a bus sits there and waits for passengers... the buses are coming from, and going to, somewhere else. They are just stopping to let people off and let people on.

Of course you can also book a seat in advance. One tip... go to the bus company's ticket sales office in town if you want. You don't have to go all the way to the main bus station. The bus companies often have courtesy buses which will take you to the bus station from their office in city center. Then when you get to the bus station at your destination, courtesy buses may also take you to city center. It depends on the town. The bus station is right in the heart of Kaş, so no need for courtesy buses... the one in Fethiye is technically in town but away from the center. I am not sure if they have courtesy buses or not. In Antalya, you can get on the Antray, or tram, which has a terminal at the bus station. That will take you to city center faster than anything. You'll see signs for it at the bus station. You'll have to buy a pass to use it, but it's cheap. Something like two lira per trip.