Historical debt collectible?

Rate this topic

Solosmurf

My friend has a long term Turkish boyfriend who recently received a letter concerning a debt from 7 years ago that he doesn't recognise.  On contacting the firm to obtain information about it, they just said he needs to pay,  no info from them.  He asked why it took 7 years to send the letter, they said because he had kept moving but he's had the same address since 2010.  Since calling them he has had no further letters or requests for payment.

is this a scam?  Even does historical debt expire in Turkey?  In the U.

K. It is after 6 years.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I don't know whether this is the same type of situation, but a few years ago we received letters (from a lawyer or some kind of agency I think) demanding payment of any debt we may have to a given business and mentioning some large sum. It might have been recorded delivery even. A lawyer advised us just to ignore them. He said that agencies or lawyers could buy up debts from a bankrupt business and then try to collect any payment due. They would send out hundreds of demands to everyone who had been a customer of the business, regardless of whether they had any debts. It all seemed a total waste of effort on their part. I can't believe anyone would be silly enough to pay up just on the strength of a demand letter.

We have had texts from two different law firms trying to collect a debt on behalf of a Turkish company. I have ignored them all as the company concerned actually cancelled the contract themselves and the debt does not exist but still the threats continue.

Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time to reply.  Unfortunately Stacey has now gone back to the UK so I don't have any further information.  He only told her that he had received a letter, no details on the sender.  He had paid 800TL before she told me about it and intended to pay the balance the following day.  I passed the information from the comments on to her but he still decided that it would be safer to pay.

Thanks for letting us know what happened. At least this topic can serve as information for anyone who searches in Google concerning a similar situation. I do know for a fact that this kind of"debt collection scam" happens, usually by e-mails which are sent out en-masse. The scammers do have a telephone number, and you can call them and talk to them as they continue the scam over the phone. I didn't know about people buying old debt and trying to enforce it. So I learned something here as well.