Rate this topic

Hey everyone,

I am dual national and am about to change my Kimlik to the new biometric one. I attempted to change it while in Turkey for a visit but you have to apply in the country you are resident.

Does anyone know the process of applying in Turkish Consulate London?

Do I need an appointment and what do I need to take??

Thanks in advance!! :)

You can find the consulate website here:

Turkish consulate, London

This doesn't sound like the usual request they handle, so it's probably best to get the info from them. Appointments for Turkish embassies and consulates worldwide are handled on this site:

Turkish Consulate Appointments

You can set up an appointment online there.

But of course you will probably want to know what documents you need first. There is a contact option on the consulate website so I think it would be best if you used that. Probably not much help on my part, but the best place to get this info would be from the Turkish consulate itself.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

I have sent a couple of emails and used the contact form on the consulate website but haven't had a response. (Maybe I've just not left it long enough)

I live a long way from London so it's going to be really difficult (and expensive to travel peak time on the train) to go to the Consulate only to find I've made the wrong type of appointment or not brought something I should have with me.

I am wary of phoning them as my Turkish is very limited and I would really struggle to get across what I wanted.

I'm having an issue with my divorce too so wanted to get my biometric card before the divorce went through. (Assuming I wouldn't have to change it again after the divorce??)

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really starting to panic about it all.

I was thinking that might happen. The consulates are often not very good at replying to contact requests. Unless one of the other members have gone through the process and can tell you what you need to do exactly, the only thing I could suggest is that you collect everything you think you would need. I would imagine that would involve your old identity card (kimlik) and your passport, and whatever else you can think of, along with maybe six (probably too many) biometric photos. You'll need to tell the photographer what size you will need, of course. Then make an appointment with the consulate and just go.

Don't assume you'll be able to get it done on the first appointment, but you just might be able to. Worst case scenario would be that you have to bring them yet something else. If you can get that nearby you could probably go back with it on the same day. If not, just make another appointment, then go to the second one with what they tell you to bring.

Anyway that is what I would do. It's the long and hard way of doing it, but at least you can be sure it will get done in the end.

Hi Ken,

That's the way I saw it. Take everything I can think of and hope it's enough!

I have no idea what the difference is between normal photos and biometric ones. I ordered a set from online to use with my biometric uk passport so I would think it would be ok to use the same ones if they're the right size.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Whenever I do business with the government, I never expect things to go smoothly. I plan on hearing conflicting information or having to go back more than once, no matter how prepared I am. Especially if what I need is anything out of the ordinary. 

There is nothing unique about the photo itself. It just needs to have enough resolution and quality to be read by a facial recognition program. When you go to a photo studio and have such a photo taken, it is pretty much a given that the resulting photo will meet the requirements. When it the photo is processed by the government, measurements are taken of your facial features in the photo and recorded on a chip in the card. In that way the photo can be compared to other photos of you, or of your actual face. Each person's facial features and the measurements involved tend to be unique to that person. So in that way, the information recorded from the photo acts as a fingerprint.

They will also take fingerprints as part of the new residency procedure at the interview and more photographes from the front, back and side.