Rate this topic

Hey everyone,

I am dual national and am about to change my Kimlik to the new biometric one. I attempted to change it while in Turkey for a visit but you have to apply in the country you are resident.

Does anyone know the process of applying in Turkish Consulate London?

Do I need an appointment and what do I need to take??

Thanks in advance!! :)

You can find the consulate website here:

Turkish consulate, London

This doesn't sound like the usual request they handle, so it's probably best to get the info from them. Appointments for Turkish embassies and consulates worldwide are handled on this site:

Turkish Consulate Appointments

You can set up an appointment online there.

But of course you will probably want to know what documents you need first. There is a contact option on the consulate website so I think it would be best if you used that. Probably not much help on my part, but the best place to get this info would be from the Turkish consulate itself.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

I have sent a couple of emails and used the contact form on the consulate website but haven't had a response. (Maybe I've just not left it long enough)

I live a long way from London so it's going to be really difficult (and expensive to travel peak time on the train) to go to the Consulate only to find I've made the wrong type of appointment or not brought something I should have with me.

I am wary of phoning them as my Turkish is very limited and I would really struggle to get across what I wanted.

I'm having an issue with my divorce too so wanted to get my biometric card before the divorce went through. (Assuming I wouldn't have to change it again after the divorce??)

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really starting to panic about it all.

I was thinking that might happen. The consulates are often not very good at replying to contact requests. Unless one of the other members have gone through the process and can tell you what you need to do exactly, the only thing I could suggest is that you collect everything you think you would need. I would imagine that would involve your old identity card (kimlik) and your passport, and whatever else you can think of, along with maybe six (probably too many) biometric photos. You'll need to tell the photographer what size you will need, of course. Then make an appointment with the consulate and just go.

Don't assume you'll be able to get it done on the first appointment, but you just might be able to. Worst case scenario would be that you have to bring them yet something else. If you can get that nearby you could probably go back with it on the same day. If not, just make another appointment, then go to the second one with what they tell you to bring.

Anyway that is what I would do. It's the long and hard way of doing it, but at least you can be sure it will get done in the end.

Hi Ken,

That's the way I saw it. Take everything I can think of and hope it's enough!

I have no idea what the difference is between normal photos and biometric ones. I ordered a set from online to use with my biometric uk passport so I would think it would be ok to use the same ones if they're the right size.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Whenever I do business with the government, I never expect things to go smoothly. I plan on hearing conflicting information or having to go back more than once, no matter how prepared I am. Especially if what I need is anything out of the ordinary. 

There is nothing unique about the photo itself. It just needs to have enough resolution and quality to be read by a facial recognition program. When you go to a photo studio and have such a photo taken, it is pretty much a given that the resulting photo will meet the requirements. When it the photo is processed by the government, measurements are taken of your facial features in the photo and recorded on a chip in the card. In that way the photo can be compared to other photos of you, or of your actual face. Each person's facial features and the measurements involved tend to be unique to that person. So in that way, the information recorded from the photo acts as a fingerprint.

They will also take fingerprints as part of the new residency procedure at the interview and more photographes from the front, back and side.

Hi,

Just a quick update.

I have my appointment at the consulate for 8th of June and have been told to bring biometric photos, passport, proof of address, original Kimlik and fee which I believe to be around £45. 

Note: The photos have to be a different size to UK passport photos (bigger).

As soon as I've been I will update as to what happened in case anyone else wants the information as well :)

Wow Tilki,  £45?  In Turkey the charge was 16 lira apiece... aside from the costs for photos etc.   With the current x-rate of sterling well above 6 lira at present, $45 seems OTP!  :3

Your absolutely right. However you can only replace your card in your country of residence :(.

According to an "updated consular fees" email the charge has gone up to £50.

I will let you know what happens on Friday :)

Hey, so finally made it to my appointment this morning.

Not as bad as i expected! I took photocopies of my Kimlik, passport, full birth certifucate, drivers licence, marry book and proof of address along with 8 photographs and all the original documents too.

++  Be aware though that the photos need to be 50mm x 50mm with a head size of 30mm x 20mm with a white background.

I ordered mine online from Persofoto and they were perfect as you can order specifically for Turkish ID.

Anyways, was given a ticket and a counter number and had to wait to be seen.

When it was my turn I just handed everything over and was told I had brought all that was need though people around me were being sent away for not bring the right items.

I paid £9.00 then was asked to sign some forms and told to place my two index fingers together on a glass plate fingerprint scanner then paid another £6.50 (they only accept CASH)

I was given an envelope with my PIN in it and a form to prove I had applied for the card.

That was it!

The down side is I have to go back to collect it. They said they would notify me via email when it would be ready.

I have no idea if I need to make another appointment to collect it, pay any more money, or what the PIN is for bit today was quite painless!!!

X

That's great news.  So you got this done at the consulate, correct? I am assuming so since you are saying the charge was in pounds. You had mentioned earlier that you had to do it in the country you needed the ID for, so I am just making sure you didn't have to come to Turkey for this. :)

When I got a work permit years ago it was the same way, they said they would let me know when it was ready and I went and got it. I am sure their e-mail will tell you what to do, but since you will just be picking it up I would think you could just go there without an appointment. We'll see.

Anyway congratulations on completing that transaction, it has probably relieved you from some stress.

I tried to get it done while I was in Turkey as I thought it would be easier and quicker but they said it had to be done in the country i reside in so it had to be the UK and yes it was in the consulate in London (Rutland Gardens).

Not sure if I need an appointment to collect it but hoping the email they send will tell me what I need to do to.

It was actually easier than I expected thankfully.

The only thing I would say is that they were sending a lot of people away as they didn't have the right paperwork, photos etc or the money in cash.

As soon as I get the email I will let you guys know :)

Hi,

Just an update.

I've had an email from the Consulate saying my Kimlik has been processed.

When I left the consulate before, the woman said I would have to collect it so I am assuming that I need to make an appointment to do so.

My appointment is on 20th July so hopefully will come home with my new kimlik!!

I realised in my earlier message that I said about the right paperwork but didn't say what I took!

I took 4 biometric standard photos (must be 50mm x 50mm with face to be 30mm x 20mm), uk passport and photocopy, uk driving licence and photocopy, Kimlik and photocopy, marriage book and photocopy, council tax bill for proof of address and photocopy. Not sure if I actually needed it all but better safe than sorry!

And lastly, money. It MUST be in CASH or they will send you away.

I will let you know after the 20th how it went :)