Sign in to follow this  
Catherine10

Religious married

Rate this topic

Hello, 

I am after some advise please , I am wanting to marry my Turkish boyfriend who is 30 years old , but we only wanted to get married religiously first as I am from uk the paperwork is so hard to get at short notice . He got told this is not allowed anymore ! Can you tell me if this is true 

Can you explain? What exactly is he saying is not allowed any more? And just to clarify things more, why do you mention his age? Religious marriages in Turkey have no legal standing. If you are married only "religiously," you will not be married at all.

Only those marriages made under Turkish law are marriages. There are no "religious marriages."

May I ask... why does he not want to marry you legally? It is not difficult, or time consuming, to get the paperwork done to get legally married.

What I understand is that religious marriages are only allowed now if already legally married ? 

Two people are legally married under Turkish law, or they are not. There is no government control over "religious marriages" because they are not marriages.

With his age I was just trying to give more of the story 

If I may ask, are you significantly older than your Turkish boyfriend?

Hi,

it was forbidden untill 2015. i mean getting religiously married before the real marriage was forbidden.

Now you can live with him without any ceramony called marriage or with just "religious marriage"

Both means not to be married and no records about that type of marriages in governments official records.

That means "religious marriage" gives no protection to you; he can still get marry with someone else; no hairdom; nothing to force to get marry officially.

Religious marriage is something just about the morale.

So i prefer you to wait till your documents arrival.