Ahmad. Laf

Applying for Turkish driving license

Rate this topic

Recently Turkish government decided to change the driving license appointment system (Randevu) from Emniyet to Nufus and before it was really easy to get appointment from the Emniyet website and it only took few seconds. But now since they changed it from 2nd of April the Nufus system doesn't work for citizens of other countries and they can't apply for a drivers license. I wanted to know if anyone is experiencing the same issue 

I am going through that right now. The population and citizenship directorate (Nüfus) is now handling driving licenses by appointment, which can be made on their website (www.nvi.gov.tr), but it won't take a YKN (yabancı kimlik numarası, or foreign identification number). I called the Nüfus main helpline number at 199, and they told me to just go to the local nüfus without an appointment. However, when I went there, they told me that I must make the appointment online and that I cannot just walk in.

I talked to the manager of the nüfus about this. He said that they are still working on the online system, and they are aware of the problem. They will soon fix the online system so that it takes the foreigner identification number. He told me just to try again in a week, or two weeks, and make an appointment as soon as I find the system accepts my foreigner identification number.

Unfortunately I can't help you any more than that, but at least I have saved you from going through the same run-around. :)

I actually went to Nufus two times myself.the first time I had no idea and I went there at evening and they told me that you need an appointment so I called them at 199 and they told me that if you go there before 8 in the morning they will  give you an appointment themselves. So I went there at 7 am waited till 10 am and they did gave me an appointment but when I went to the guy that worked there he said we can't do it for foreigners now.don't ever trust 199 they are thief's honestly 

Thanks for that feedback. It's often the case that you hear one thing from one person in the government, and another thing from another. But here we have information about how it is actually working. I don't know what else to say... except to call 199 and let them know about the problem. Perhaps they will upgrade the system soon to accept foreign ID numbers.