Sign in to follow this  
Star

Foreigner and public hospitals

Rate this topic

Helloooo all

My wife needs to do andoskopi. She went to the hospital which has a contract with university. They said that without insurance ıt would be 3000 tl and more even. Wıth ınsurance ıt would be 1200 maybe!

The ınsurance saıd that she had thıs problem before doıng ınsurance and ı ınsulted them a lot!! I was so angry! ıs thıs humanıty ? what are they sayıng!!

OK now ı have a questıon. I want to know exactly whether publıc hospıtals do such thıngs for foreıgners? Could someone go to the publıc polıklınık or hospıtal wıthout ınsurance? ı mean a foreıgner

Healthcare cannot be provided for free in any country. Someone has to pay for it. They are saying that the insurance policy would pay part of it and you would pay part of it. This is normal, there is often a cost-sharing agreement, it depends on your policy.

In some countries poor people can get free healthcare, but still it isn't free. The country's tax payers pay for it.

Health insurance is not free healthcare. It is a pool of money made by many people to cover healthcare costs which might happen occasionally. For example, a person who was at the point where they needed a heart transplant could not go and pay 1,000 TL for a health care policy and then have a heart transplant (which is a certainty in this case) which costs 500,000 TL. It doesn't work that way. That is why pre-existing conditions are excluded.  You may be able to get an insurance company to cover a pre-existing condition but it would be quite expensive, because the probability that the insurance company would have to pay for a costly medical procedure would be more of a certainty than a probability.

They are not being inhumane. This is how it works everywhere. Read your policy... you signed it and agreed to it. They can only be expected to pay for what they have agreed to pay, in writing, on the policy.

Complete ınhumane!

they saıd that you had problem before and they do not pay for andoskopi!!

go to west Europe and see what the ınsurance means

of coursemany of the companıes trıck people

by the way my maın questıon ıs not answered!!

I want to know exactly whether publıc hospıtals do such thıngs for foreıgners? Could someone go to the publıc polıklınık or hospıtal wıthout ınsurance? ı mean a foreıgner

and ı do not say ı wıll not pay!!!!

You mean provide free medical services, with the doctors and staff working for free? No. 

You are required to have medical insurance to live in Turkey. But to answer your question exactly, yes. Someone could go to the public hospital without insurance. However, if while at the hospital they received medical services, they would have to pay for them.

Sure I pay

That insurance just tricked 

So what is the procedure for public hospitals?

Just make a randevu and go there? 

Also I was told that the quality of public ones are low 

Yes?

In 2004 I cut my hand badly and went to the Accident and emergency dept at the local hospital, I did not have insurance at that time. I had to register at the hospital and pay for my treatment before they treated me. the answer is yes, foreigners will be treated at public hospitals but they will be charged the full cost of the tratment. Whether they pay before they are treated or afterwards probably depends on how serious and urgent treatment is. I hope that your wife makes a full recovery soon.

Thanks abi I hope you also have healthy life

The point is that whether the cost is less than private ones or not? I want to compare private hospitals having insurance with local public hospitals without insurance. any idea?

How about the quality?

The quality of treatment in the public hospitals is generally good, the private ones are cleaner and more modern looking but do you want to pay for that? The other concern I have with private hospitals is that they always recommend this test and that scan (all costing lots of money), I wonder if the tests are necessary or do they have to get a certain number of tests done per month just to pay for the loan on the machines?

This might be slightly off-topic, but related to it anyway.  Recently it came to light that private hospitals in general have been charging emergency outpatients outrageous amounts for treatment.

A man who fell in a carpark & sustained  a bleeding wound to his head went to the nearest hospital, a private one.  They wanted to charge him for 2650 lira "because they had no SGK agreement", which he refused, but they wouldn't let him leave without signing a disclaimer....ie. saying he left of his own free will.  On the form they gave him to sign, he wrote that because he was informed they had no SGK agreement he was leaving the hospital without being treated, & signed it like that. At this, they decided to treat him under the official guidelines - did a brain MR, stitches in neck & full examination.  At the checkout, the woman was amazed & asked what he did to get his treatment fee reduced from 2650 to just 158 lira. Story is here http://www.sozcu.com.tr/2018/gundem/ozel-hastanelerin-acillerinde-fatura-soku-yasamayin-2213232/  Next day the hospital's patient relations officer phoned him to apologize.

The article continues to explain that private hospitals MUST treat emergency patients & charge them only what the SGK specifies in their schedules (according to type of treatment).  I don't know if endoscopy is considered emergency.  Nor am I sure if foreigners (ie without SGK) would be covered.  It would seem inhumane to refuse to treat someone bleeding to death, but a foreigner might possible be charged more.