Accalia

Have I "lost" my Turkish nationality?

Rate this topic

When I got married to a Turkish national in 1999, in Turkey, I was granted Turkish citizenship and have a Kimlik card and Turkish passport.  I am Britsh.  We moved to the UK in 2002 and got divorced in 2005.  I have lived in the UK since then but when I retire in 5 years time I would like to return to live in Turkey.  Will I have "lost" my Turkish citizenship on divorce?  We were divorced in Turkey.  My Kimlik has not been updated since the divorce and I have since remarried.  Thanks for any advice.

2 hours ago, Accalia said:

When I got married to a Turkish national in 1999, in Turkey, I was granted Turkish citizenship and have a Kimlik card and Turkish passport.  I am Britsh.  We moved to the UK in 2002 and got divorced in 2005.  I have lived in the UK since then but when I retire in 5 years time I would like to return to live in Turkey.  Will I have "lost" my Turkish citizenship on divorce?  We were divorced in Turkey.  My Kimlik has not been updated since the divorce and I have since remarried.  Thanks for any advice.

Sounds to me like you're a dual citizen...I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way.  I don't think you give up the right to be a citizen because of divorce...

You have to be married for a certain amount of time and meet other requirements before you can become a citizen anyway, so that has already ensured that you were not seeking citizenship with a sham marriage.  So unless you deliberately renounce your citizenship, you will remain a Turkish citizen for life. 

I agree -- you must still be a Turkish citizen.  When you come to Turkey after you retire, it's a simple matter to confirm it at any Nüfus Dairesi. Or if you need to know before you travel you could authorize a Turkish lawyer to check on your behalf.  :)