Amina

Serious advice needed!!! Expired work permit!!!

Rate this topic

Please help! I moved to Istanbul in 2014 with my American passport, and started working as an English teacher. I received my residence permit and then in 2017 I received a work permit. My school told me I didn't need a residence permit bc I have a work permit as it is the same. Needless to say the school promised to renew my work permit once it expired, which was just a few months ago but never did. Now I have no work permit!!!! I am married my husband is Syrian and is trying g to get citizenship but I don't know what to do about my status! I have been here 4 years and planned to get citizenship as well with my husband. Everyone is telling me to leave and pay the fine and I can come back but that will prevent me from getting citizenship bc I will have to start all over. And then there is the fear of being banned and not being with my husband. Someone please help! What can I do??? I just want to pay the fine but I don't want to leave! Is there anyway around this??!! 

Hi Amina, welcome to the Forum. First of all do not panic. A Friend of mine went through an almost identical situation last year. Her school promised to renew her work permit (actually told her they had applied for it), later they told her the work permit had been refused, and withdrew the signed contract for this year. By this time she had been illegal for about 4 months.

She left the country and paid the fine. A couple of months later she applied for residency (She had a car to sell, and could not sell it without being a resident), I helped her with the application, and she was given the permit, she asked for 6 months, but at the interview they persuaded her to take a year, she sold the car and returned to her own country.

Hello Ibrahim, 

Thank you for you reply! I hate to this has happened to another person. So your saying your friend left and was able to come back in? Same day? I just want to do the right thing..... Do you know how much her fine was?? Did she go through airport or did she go to the border? 

If you have overstayed, then you already have a gap in your time in Turkey for citizenship. Time spent in Turkey without a visa or residence permit is not going to count for citizenship. For your overstay you will probably receive a fine no matter what you do. The thing you would be worried about is receiving a ban.

You can leave Turkey, pay the fine, and return with a visa.  But it is possible you could receive a three-month ban. It is also possible that they won't give you one if you explain your situation to the border control police. They do seem to have discretion about whether and when to give someone a ban.

Anyway, if you pay your fine and don't get banned, you can return, even the next day, on an e-visa, then apply for your residence permit.

To be on the safe side, you could contact your country's embassy or consulate about the situation. They may be able to make a telephone call on your behalf, considering your situation, and most importantly, avoid your being banned if you have to  leave and re-enter with a tourist visa. The best thing about doing it this way is that if somebody from the consulate calls, you will have a witness to what they Turkish officials said.

İbrahimAbi's friend probably had a work visa or residence permit when they left the country, and returned with a visa. The 90-in-180-days in Turkey rule applies only to visas, not work and residence permits. So yes, you could leave after having a work permit, then return with a visa on the next day. With the visa, it's valid for 180 days, but you can only be in Turkey for 90 days in any 180-day period. You'll be applying for your residence permit, so once you have your residence permit application completed and printed out, that will serve as your papers for legally being in Turkey until you get your appointment, then your temporary residence permit, then ultimately, your actual residence permit card.

I called the US embassy and they were no help unfortunately. So I guess I will have to take my chances leaving. But I will certainly explain my situation. 

My friend had no valid Visa when she left, it had expired. she did not try to come back the next day, she was out of Turkey for about a month, we had to get her health insurance sorted so that she could apply for a residence permit online from the UK (I helped her using the Turkish pages over Skype, the English did not work). She took a court case out against the school owners over the contract issue.

I hope you don't get banned. I have heard of more than a few cases where the person was not banned after explaining their situation. If you are banned, it should only be for three months maximum. Even then you can apply to a local Turkish embassy or consulate to have the ban removed and come back earlier.

I am hoping the best for you! Let us know how it turns out, please.

I will. Thank you again Ken and IbrahimAbi for your all support  and feedback. I have found that this page is the most resourceful and positive place. Everyone is very positive and that means a lot. I am going to explain my situation and hope for the best! 

Hi Ken. My situation got delayed unfortunately, and So, I am finally able to take care of my RP now. I am planning on leaving this week. And planning on explaining my situation to them. Where can i go or how can i fill out the form needed promising to do my resident permit within 10 days of my return? Still praying i dont get banned:unsure:. I plan on taking my contract i signed with the school, marriage documents, expired work permit and apartment contract which is in mine and my husband's name. And planning on paying the fees. 

At the airport, they should have the form you need there. I hope they are sympathetic to you and let you come back. Let us know how things work out... and best of luck to you. :)