Sign in to follow this  
chengmingjms

Leaving the country after applying for extension by mail

Rate this topic

Hey all,

Two questions about leaving the country after having applied for extension by mail (and the old residence permit having expired). I am planning two trips abroad in the next couple of weeks, one for a long weekend and one for approximately 3 weeks. I did not receive a document allowing me to leave Turkey while waiting for the card to arrive - not even when I had to submit an additional document in person in the Bakirköy office.

1) After calling 157, it is my (skeptical) understanding that I should print out my application document and get it stamped and signed at the Bakirköy office and use that, together with the proof of payment, so I can leave the country for up to 15 days while waiting for the new residence permit. Is that correct?

2) What do I do if I want to leave for more than 15 days? When I called 157, the guy was adamant that I could just go and come back on a visa (I am a German national so I get 90 days), and I would neither have to pay a fee nor would it affect my pending application in any way. Unfortunately, he stopped being adamant after I double-checked that twice and asked me to ask the border guards when I'm at the airport. I would like to figure this out before I get to the airport, so does anybody here have experience with that? So old permit is expired, new one has not been delivered yet, need to leave the country for approximately three weeks.

2b) Just thought of a corrolary to that, what happens if the residence permit is delivered while I am out of the country? How long will the PTT hold on to it for?

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, chengmingjms said:

) After calling 157, it is my (skeptical) understanding that I should print out my application document and get it stamped and signed at the Bakirköy office and use that, together with the proof of payment, so I can leave the country for up to 15 days while waiting for the new residence permit. Is that correct? 

yep that is what you need to do....

I don't know how long the PTT will hold your visa, They held mine for a month.

You must leave showing your 'application document' & copies of payment receipts. If out more than 15 days you return showing a visa....You cannot leave showing a visa obtained here as it's only activated on arrival,not exit. This will not affect your pending application.
Most PTT offices hold the package for 10-14 days,then it's sent to the GOC office your sent your documents to. Here it's held for a maximum of 6 months,then if not collected,the card is destroyed & RP cancelled.

In case anybody else is in the same situation, I came back after three weeks and the lady at passport control did not seem to mind in the least. She only checked the expiry date on the application document and let me in (in fact, I think I was through immigration faster than anytime before!). When leaving I had also asked three different officers at the airport, and all of them had assured me that it would not be a problem to stay out for three weeks.

As for the residence permit, my flatmate managed to convince the delivery guy to hand it over to him in exchange for my yabanci kimlik numarasi - in fact he even managed to get him to come back the next day because he didn't have the number on hand! So both of these issues were surprisingly painless in the end - now I just need to find out how to get the next tourism residency permit extension ;)