Rate this topic

I was stationed with the American forces at Incirlik in the early 1990s and have many fond memories of my time there.  In fact, I've started developing some early travel plans to visit the country again, perhaps this fall.  I would have made these plans a while back, but with the coup and then the row between the governments leading to a problem getting visas for a time, the trip got delayed.  

But I'm pumped to be making plans to head back!  The thing is,  the US Department of State advises against travel there at this time.  But the warnings ring a bell-  when I got stationed there after the first gulf war,  there were all kinds of dire forecasts about safety, but I got there and things were really fine, and I have no intention of going to Southeast Turkey where the situation is politically hot.

But before I make firm plans,  I wanted to check with people on the ground just to be sure.  Is there anything beyond the normal precautions a traveler should take that I should be aware of?  Are Americans as welcomed in the tourist areas, or even off the beaten track a bit, as they used to be?  The Dept of State warns of "detentions."  They don't say if that's  detention by the government or maybe a militant group or what.  Anything to that? 

Frankly I'd be a tad shocked if you have something too substantial to report,  but perhaps there's something I, as an American traveling in Turkey, should know.  

Tom

Hi Thomas and welcome to Turkey Central. I know a number of Americans living here, in fact the owner of this site is one of them and will welcome you with open arms when he reads your post. Aside from the usual advice that we used to get there is nothing to worry about. Turkey and the Turkish people are as welcoming as ever. Hope you have a great time when you get here.

The only thing to add to Cukurbagli's comment is check that the travel insurance is not affected by the government warning. All is well here for travelers who are respectful, careful and polite to Turkey and its customs, you will have a great time and should not feel threatened.

Thanks for this post Thomas Meacham!  I also grew up in Turkey in the 1980s at Incirlik.  I've always considered Turkey 'my home' and miss it SO much.  I was also looking into traveling to Turkey again but was also concerned about the State Dept. warnings.

Thanks for the post and all of the replies putting me more at ease! =)

Allen

Incirlik - 83-85 / 87-91

I was at Incirlik from 2005 to 2007, living in Antalya now. I think the travel warnings mainly focus on the southeast, which is probably a good place to avoid, but I haven't heard of any incidents anywhere in Turkey which were directed at foreigners. Not lately anyway.

I mentioned this in other posts... the Incirlik alley is pretty much dead... a few shops and restaurants are open, but the base has been in lockdown for quite a while. Still worth a visit though, at least to bring back some old memories!

Softly softly catcha monkey, I noticed that Thomas made his one and only post a year ago and has probably been and gone by now.

I have visited many parts of Turkey during the last 30 years and met no agression at all from Turks. I am English born and bred and have many American relatives, I am not sure if this has affected my accent but I have been mistaken for an American on many occasions but not suffered as a result.

Moving on to Turkey in current times it might not be such a good idea for foreigners to visit major cities right now because of the animosity being promoted recently. That is not to say that foreigners won't be welcomed by most. The flash points here have always been places to avoid. That does though apply to many other countries of course.

As Bob Dylan used to sing.

"You  don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"