Sign in to follow this  
Matthew G

Visiting a Turkish Home Don't forget Shoes

Rate this topic

For those who have never been to Turkey, and end up going to someone's home pay close attention to your shoes. Many Turkish homes have different shoes for every part of the house.

1. Always take off your shoes at the door, Some homes may give you slippers or sandals to wear inside the house.

2 Going to the Bathroom may require another set of shoes, expect to find a pair of rubberized shoes or sandals right at the entrance to the bathroom. When you are finished exchange them for the shoes your hosts gave you. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL DON;T FORGET THAT YOU ARE WEARING THE BATHROOM SHOES AND GO WADERING INTO THE LIVING ROOM.

3. If your hosts have a balcony, they may have another set of shoes for you to wear when you step outside to the balcony.

Just keep in mind this custom, and don't be "the ugly(insert your nationality here)" and be a good ambassador for your country, you will look better and your hosts will appreciate it.

I had forgotten about the 'bathroom' shoes until a Turkish guest asked us last week if it was OK to wear the slippers that we had provided into the bathroom, as we had no 'bathroom slippers' outside the door. I understand the reasons when there were Ala-Turka toilets but with today's Western type I can see no good reason for changing.

Ibrahim: You are correct You will always find bathroom shoes in the doorway of a "Eastern Toilet" Our house has both and here we don't change when we use the Western toilet....However at my Father in law's house and my wife's sister's house even though they both have a western toilet, They expect you to use the Bathroom shoes. Perhaps they are traditional IDK, I guess the rule of thumb is if there are shoes at the door use them LOL and of course don't forget to take them off upon your exit. ha ha ha.