Sign in to follow this  
ngwy

Changing surname

Rate this topic

There is no rule that says that you have to change your name, neither first nor surname. And another complication is changing your passport, bank accounts, driving licence, tapu, insurances etc etc, the list goes on. You might well think it is all too much bother.

As for your question, Turkish keyboards also have a W so I wonder who told you and how accurate their information is, can't see a real need myself.

My wife and I have been married for 29 years and have lived and worked in Turkey for many years with different names. i cannot forsee any problem that you will have by not changing. Best wishes.

Hi Ngwy!

This happened to me when I applied for citizenship in 2013. The memur insisted that there is no X in the Turkish language so I had to fill out the form as "aleKSandra" instead of "aleXandra". Unfortunately, I did what he said... and now I can't correct it. Last year I went to court for this and I got the same response from the judge: there is no X in the Turkish language, therefore there is nothing we can do for you.

When I first made my complaint to the population bureau in Ankara, they came back and said that I am the one who filled out the application for citizenship, therefore I am responsible for it. My advice to you is to use all arguments with the memur who accepts your application (as Cukurbagli said above, there is a W on the Turkish computer keyboard) and under no circumstance write it differently by your own hand. If they want to change the W, let them change it themselves. Afterwards you can file a complaint.