Matthew G

eating out? check your receipt

Rate this topic

I can't speak for the rest of Turkey but in Adana there has been a recent change to the bill. Until recently when you go to a restaurant the Garson will bring out empty glasses and a pitcher of water (usually served in a stainless steel pitcher) now our local restaurant brings glasses and Bottled water. That bottled water costs 1 TL and it automatically put on your bill. When you are about to pay check your receipt and inform them that you didn't drink the water(if that is the case) and they will gladly refund your Lira.

Paying attention to your receipt can save you loads in the long run

Yes they try this on in my town too, look to see if they do this with the locals also. I will bet they don't. If this is the case tell them that you want to drink tap water,

Adana isn't really a tourist town. I'm a local they know me well, In fact a beggar once came to my table., The waiter told them I was a Yabanci, and didn't speak the language and politely kicked her out. yet the restaurant that I frequent just started doing this with the water.

5 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

Do the locals get the bottled water too?

Yes they do, in fact it is pretty much the norm. BIM just had a sale 1.90TL for a 5 litre bottle, and they were sold out on the first day.

In our area, at lunchtime in doner shops and pide shops the locals are served tap water from plastic bottles, foreigners get unopened ones from the fridge and are charged for it. I am not saying that it is a scam, they will have met foreigners who are scared to drink tap water in Turkey. At home we only use bottled water for tea and coffee but that is to reduce the damage to the kettle from the hard water (limescale issues).

Bit off topic... but, IbrahimAbi, wouldn't you want to use bottled water for other things besides tea/coffee, eg. soup/stews etc ? Just so your kidneys can appreciate it too ?  :)

I use tap water at home for soup and tea, but I drink bottled water throughout the day.

6 minutes ago, Matthew G said:

I use tap water at home for soup and tea, but I drink bottled water throughout the day.

Really?!! Tap water for cooking!

Could I do that?! I waste a lot of money( kidding ) for water!

Please someone clarify which water is really good for cooking tea and etc.!?

Bottled water is best, or if you have a filter like reverse osmosis that is just as good. The tap water here isn't that hard, back home it looks like milk when it first comes out then you have to let it sit before it clears up.

How about restaurants and university dinning hall? Do they cook with bottled water? I don't think so!

Wooow we cook everything by bottled water?

Could we cook with tap water after let it go for a while?

I read somewhere filter is not so much good

On 2/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, Meral said:

Bit off topic... but, IbrahimAbi, wouldn't you want to use bottled water for other things besides tea/coffee, eg. soup/stews etc ? Just so your kidneys can appreciate it too ?  :)

No, we drink water from the tap, use it fo ice cubes, wash salad leaves and cook with it too. 25 years ago I did use a filter but there is almost no sand in our water now.

On 2/19/2018 at 3:03 PM, Matthew G said:

Bottled water is best, or if you have a filter like reverse osmosis that is just as good. The tap water here isn't that hard, back home it looks like milk when it first comes out then you have to let it sit before it clears up.

The milkiness is only gas due to the pressure the water is under.

7 hours ago, IbrahimAbi said:

No, we drink water from the tap, use it fo ice cubes, wash salad leaves and cook with it too. 25 years ago I did use a filter but there is almost no sand in our water now.

OK.  I don't trust tap water; every time after a water cut, it comes out muddy for ages, & even when it comes clear, it leaves grit at the bottom if left standing for a while.  It's not just the water itself but the plumbing. Lots of pipes leak in surrounding streets, that constantly need fixing.  If tap water does what it does to kettles, what might it do to our kidneys?   We only use it for washing, shower & garden.

I guess you're safe enough after 25 years, but I'd rather play it safe...... :) 

I guess it depends where you live Meral. we are up in the hills and in winter our water comes from the mountain, no sign of grit on a regular basis (although we do find it when we empty the gauze on the taps each Spring). Whatever you drink, Afiyet olsun

Speaking of Bottled water I'm not sure about where you are at But MIGROS is having a sale, 19 Liters for 7TL (ad some change)

3 hours ago, Matthew G said:

Speaking of Bottled water I'm not sure about where you are at But MIGROS is having a sale, 19 Liters for 7TL (ad some change)

You cannot say it definitely

1000 kinds of bottled water the cheaper is kardelen

I bought A-101. 5 lıtre ıs 1,85 tl. ıf you buy 20 lıtre ıt would be 6,6 tl dıscount!

I was saıd do not use tap water for cookıng and eatıng wherever you are ın turkey